Football takes advantage of turnovers

It took Tennessee Tech quarterback Lee Sweeney nearly a quarter-and-half to have his first incompletion.

It only took 28 seconds for Thursday’s night opener to go from a tie game to a two-touchdown advantage for Eastern.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Sweeney connected on his first 12 passes, frustrating Eastern’s defense and giving the Golden Eagles an early 10-7 lead midway through the second quarter.

But it was his first incompletion that changed the momentum of the game and swung it into Eastern’s favor

The Panthers took advantage of three Tech turnovers in the second quarter to score two quick touchdowns and take its first lead of the game – a lead they would never relinquish en route to a 45-24 win in Thursday night’s season opener at O’Brien Stadium.

“That allowed us to take the ball game away from them I thought,” Eastern head coach Bob Spoo said about the two quick touchdowns. “I thought that was the turning point in the game.”

Sweeney’s 13th pass of the game, intended for wide receiver Matt Solima was tipped twice and intercepted by freshman cornerback Rashad Haynes at Eastern’s 38-yard line.

Haynes’ 31-yard return into Tech territory set up Tyler Wilke’s 29-yard field goal, which tied the game at 10.

Tech’s next drive also ended in a turnover.

Sweeney’s intended pass to Bryon Ottrix near midfield was tipped by Panther corner back Sinque Turner. With the ball still in midair, senior Matt Westrick came over from his outside linebacker position, dove and came up with an interception.

Tech’s next possession ended in three straight running plays, which produced only one yard.

“We lost our confidence a little bit,” Tech head coach Watson Brown said. “I wanted to settle us down a little.”

Justin Kraemer’s punt only traveled 24 yards, giving Eastern prime field position in Tech’s territory with 2 minutes, 35 seconds left in the second quarter.

The Panthers immediately took advantage of the good field position. Senior quarterback Cole Stinson hit Micah Rucker for a 31-yard touchdown pass to give Eastern a 17-10 lead.

The seven-point lead quickly expanded to two touchdowns. On Tech’s first play after Rucker’s touchdown, Panther defensive lineman Andre Lima sacked Sweeney and forced a fumble. Defensive lineman Trevor Frericks fell on the ball at Tech’s 16.

Two plays later, junior fullback Chip Keys scored on a three-yard run to give the Panthers a 24-10 lead.

“That’s a complete team game,” Rucker said. “At first, their quarterback was looking good. And we knew we were going to be able to get some turnovers and that’s what happened. We got two quick ones and anytime we get a quick turnover and good field position, we’re going to take a shot at the end zone.”

Eastern increased its lead to 21 points early in the third quarter, again thanks to an 18-yard touchdown pass from Stinson to Rucker.

Stinson finished with his best game since he’s been at Eastern, completing 19-of-26 passes for 308 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

He was helped out by Rucker, who finished with nine catches for 169 yards. Junior Alicus Nozinor also had four catches for 81 yards.

Sweeney finished 28-of-41, for 302 yards and two touchdowns. But he never seemed to get in a rhythm again after his first interception, and said Eastern’s defense didn’t change throughout the game.

“It was just a couple mistakes,” he said. “Mistakes happen. There wasn’t any changes (offensively). I just ran the play that was called.”

-Online Editor Scott Richey contributed to this story

Notes: Eastern linebacker Donald Thomas, who was named to the Buck Buchanan watch list earlier Thursday, took a major hit from a Tech player early in the fourth quarter. Thomas was down on the field for nearly five minutes, but right when a backboard was coming out to carry him off, Thomas ran off the field. Junior strong safety Ke’Andre Sams said Thomas suffered a stinger near his vertebrae. Spoo said after the game he hadn’t yet talked to Thomas about his injury.

-Eastern now has more than a week off to prepare for its game next Saturday at Purdue.

It will be Spoo’s first trip back to his alma mater since he took his daughter, Katie there a few years ago to look at veterinary schools.

“I’m looking forward to that trip,” he said. “They have a number of coaches on their staff that coached for me. I’m anxious to get back and see the renovations that they’ve done to Ross-Ade Stadium.”

-Spoo was presented with the game ball, as well as Eastern’s President William Perry after the game.

“That’s the first university president I think that’s ever been in our locker room,” Spoo said. “I really appreciate that. We were honored by his presence.”

Football takes advantage of turnovers

Football takes advantage of turnovers

Senior cornerback Sinque Turner celebrates after the 45 to 24 victory over Tennessee Tech University with “Back 4 More” written on his eye black strips. Turner finished the game with 8 tackles. Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News