Patience leads ISU to victory

Patience is a virtue.

Illinois State was patient at the plate and was walked nine times, which resulted in three runs.

ISU’s easy base runners took advantage and used them in a 4-1 against Eastern on Wednesday at Coaches Stadium.

“Our hitters are very selective,” said ISU head coach Jim Brownlee.

The Redbirds (18-20) have been walked 176 times in the 2007 season and the Panthers (17-19) have drawn 164 walks.

“Our guys are good at taking borderline pitches,” Brownlee said.

Those pitches include those in and out of the strike zone.

The Panther pitching staff has issued 158 walks.

In the fourth inning, Redbird second baseman Kyle Cherney was walked. That left the Redbirds with runners on first and second. Centerfielder Mike Tokarski hit a single to bring Cherney in for the first run of the game.

Other walks were issued later that did not help the Panthers.

Freshman Richie Derbak started off the ninth inning by walking shortstop Collin Salzenstein. Salzenstein stole second base and advanced to third on a wild pitch.

Mike Stalowy hit an infield single to score the walked runner. Right fielder Matt Bolt singled to bring in the fourth and final run of the game.

The Redbirds left the bases loaded and Derbak got out of the jam by striking out the final two batters.

Strikeouts were rare for the Panther pitching staff with four the whole game.

For Illinois State, it was the norm with its pitching staff hurling 6 K’s.

The other walks did not have an affect on the game but the walks in the ninth inning did not help the Panthers.

Eastern senior pitcher Drew Gierich gave up the biggest hit of the game in the fifth inning.

ISU’s Jesse Griswold hit a homerun to left centerfield from the first pitch from Gierich.

“He’s got some pop on the ball,” Brownlee said.

Gierich came into relieve junior starter Tyler Brandon. Brandon pitched four innings, gave up three hits and one run and walked five. Eastern batters were not patient at the plate. They struggled for the most of the game with five hits and only plating one run. The lone bright spot was senior designated hitter Erik Huber.

Huber finished 2-4 and batted in Eastern’s lone run.

“We’ve just got to get everyone else hitting,” said Eastern head coach Jim Schmitz.

Huber returned to the starting lineup after nursing a hamstring injury. He has only been used a pinch hitter since April 12.

“It’s great to see Erik in that role,” Schmitz said.

Huber was previously 0-2 in five games after April 12.

“I was kind of nervous,” Huber said.

The Belleville native said it was good to see some live pitching. The Panthers extended their losing streak to four games.

“We got to go out and play baseball,” said Gierich.

The Panthers return to action when they travel to Southeast Missouri this weekend in a critical Ohio Valley Conference series.

Patience leads ISU to victory

Patience leads ISU to victory

Senior first baseman Erik Huber takes a shot at the ball during the four to one loss against Illinois State University at Coaches Stadium Wednesday afternoon. Huber leads the team with his .449 batting average this season. (Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern