Players reflect on magical season

They talked about their kids, their jobs and what they have been doing during the past 25 years.

But most of all, they relived the most successful season in Eastern athletics.

Alumni from the 1981 men’s soccer team came together 26 years later to celebrate their historic 1981 season which saw the Panthers earn third place in the nation in their first year in Division I.

Starting goalkeeper Eric Hartman had the best view of his team’s success and had some of the best stories.

“I remember when Graham (Whitehead) scored against Wisconsin-Milwaukee and then he ran right up and put his face in front of the TV camera,” said Hartman, who recorded 16 shut-outs that season.

There were many other scoring stories as the 1981 team tallied 61 goals in 23 games, including a 9-0 shutout of Illinois State and an 8-0 drubbing of Roosevelt.

But for the most part, the reunion, which took place while the current Eastern squad played against Indianapolis at cold and snowy O’Brien Stadium, was about catching up with old friends and teammates from that magical year.

“This is all so surreal to me. I haven’t seen any of these guys since that season,” said Vincente DiBella, who scored the lone goal against St. Louis in the second round of the playoffs. “I blink my eyes and it is 25 years later.”

DiBella is now busy as a doctor in Sao Paulo, Brazil, specializing in delivering newborns. But he didn’t want to miss this occasion and left his wife back home, who is also a doctor, to deal with his patients.

“I’m always so busy with work,” DiBella said. “The only reason I can be here now is my wife is holding down the fort.”

DiBella, a senior in 1981, said many teams Eastern played that season were talented but there was something special about his Eastern squad.

“A lot of teams had great players, but we clicked,” DiBella said. “We all had such strong personalities but Schellas brought us all together.”

Schellas Hyndman, head coach of the team, who was laughing and catching up with his old players, remained humble about coaching Eastern to the Final Four.

“These guys had so much talent, I just harnessed it all,” said Hydman, who is currently the men’s soccer head coach at Southern Methodist.

Perhaps the most talented player on the team, striker Damien Kelly, who scored an Eastern record 21 goals in ’81 in addition to six assists, took a break from being a secret service agent for Florida Gov. Charlie Crist to reunite with his old teammates.

The former teammates bounced around the lower level of the O’Brien Stadium press box, reminiscing as they watched the Panthers defeat Indianapolis 2-1 behind two goals from forward Brad Peters.

But Saturday, the best team was not on the field – they had come from all around the country to relive their success.

“Guys came here from New York, Florida, Brazil, St. Louis, Colorado,” said Guy Callipari, who organized the event along with former Eastern sports information director David Kidwell. “It just shows you how important it is to these guys.”

The team had traditions after their games at Lakeside Field, and even though they were spectators this time, they planned on continuing them anyways.

“Now we have to go to Marty’s,” said Aldo Exposito, who scored four goals in the 1981 season. “That’s where we went after all our games.”

Players reflect on magical season

Players reflect on magical season

Former Eastern soccer coach Tarcisio “Cizo” Mosnia signs a soccer ball in the O’Brien press box after Eastern’s match against Indianapolis on Saturday afternoon. Mosnia coached for Eastern from 1984-1995 and was visiting for the soccer teams alumni gath