Coppert as good as gold

Sarah Coppert made up for a throwing error that allowed Ball State to score a run in a big way.

The sophomore second baseman lined a 2-1 pitch from Ball State pitcher Elizabeth Milian into the left-centerfield gap for a game-winning two-run double in Eastern’s come-from-behind 4-3 win on Tuesday at Williams Field.

“The whole game she kept jamming me inside really bad and she kept throwing it there because I couldn’t hit it,” Coppert said of Milian’s pitching. “Then the last one it just wasn’t very inside. It was kind of in the gap and I knew I had hit it hard. I didn’t even know the game was over. I was standing there (on second base) waiting for the next batter.”

Coppert’s hit came with two outs and made up for the throwing error she had in the sixth inning, which allowed Ball State to score a run.

Coppert’s throw to third base to try to force a runner was in the dirt and went past Eastern third baseman Stephanie Militello.

The ball went through an open gate on the third-base line, allowing a Ball State runner to score and give the Cardinals a 2-0 lead.

Ball State added another run in the inning on another throwing error, this time by Panther catcher Sandyn Short, to lead 3-0 going into the bottom of the seventh inning.

The Cardinals had three opportunities in the seventh inning to close out a win.

But three defensive misplays gave the Panthers a chance.

After Short struck out to start the inning, senior Katy Steele doubled to right field on a ball the Ball State rightfielder appeared to have misjudged.

Sophomore outfielder Angela Danca then lined a hard-hit ball up the middle. Ball State centerfielder Brittney Jones dived to catch the ball, but the ball hit off her forearm and dropped for a hit.

Sophomore outfielder Chelsy Iapala pinch-hit for shortstop Chelsea Adams with Steele on third and Danca on second. Iapla got behind 0-2, but Milian’s next pitch hit Iapala.

“We got a couple baserunners on, people did the little things right, like Iapala.” Schuette said. “She could have gotten out of the way, but she got hit.”

Karyn Mackie then popped up in foul territory to bring up Militello, who hit a slow groundball to Ball State’s Kamilah Holle at shortstop.

Holle’s throw was high and glanced off Ball State first baseman Amanda Pick’s glove and into the Cardinal’s dugout.

“Any one of three plays in that inning could have won the ballgame,” said Ball State head coach Craig Nicholson. “You have three chances to make a play to end the ballgame, and you can’t make any of them, you expect to lose.”

Holle’s error set up Coppert’s heroics.

“Whenever you make an error in the field, you’re always going to come up to bat in situations and try to make up for it,” Schuette said. “When you mess up, you’ve got to be tough to overcome it, and Sarah did.”

The Panthers win came in the first game of a scheduled doubleheader. But because of the storm that hit Charleston early Tuesday afternoon, the two teams only played one game. The game was originally supposed to start at 4 p.m., but didn’t start until 6:15 p.m. because of the weather.

Coppert as good as gold

Coppert as good as gold

Junior pitcher Karyn Mackie helps her own cause out by throwing out the Ball State runner during game one of Tuesday’s double header at Williams Field. The Panthers finally started game one after a three hour rain delay. The second game was canceled. (Joh