Family comes first

Greg and Lori Menzione hadn’t missed one of their daughter’s Denee’s softball games since she was five years old.

That is, until Denee’ came to Eastern this year.

“We wanted to get out to Tulsa a couple of weeks ago, but that didn’t go through and we wanted to see her this weekend (at Tennessee Tech), but we couldn’t do it,” Greg Menzione said. “My wife and I never missed any of her softball games. Now with her in college it is somewhat difficult.”

Greg and Lori got the chance to see Denee’ play during Eastern’s spring break trip to California and were greeted with a four home run performance in six games by their daughter.

The freshman third baseman had been struggling with college pitching, but broke out of her slump while there.

“She was in some bit of a slump and then all of the sudden she came out of it,” Greg Menzione said. “It was very nice to see.”

Denee’ graduated from Downers Grove South and was recruited by Eastern head coach Kim Schuette.

Schuette said she liked Denee’s natural power at the plate and her competitiveness.

That natural power at the plate can be seen today when the Panthers host Indiana State in Eastern’s home opener at 3 p.m.

Denee’s older brother plays college hockey and would practice on Denee’ when they were younger.

“She’s very competitive,” Greg Menzione said. “With her brother playing hockey, she would be the one in the goalie net when he would shoot pucks at her.”

As a senior in high school, Denee’s team finished second in the Illinois state tournament. She also was an All-State selection by the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times for her accomplishments that year.

Denee’ said she had offers from other schools, but came to Eastern because of Schuette.

Ever since the beginning of the season, Denee’ has been competing with junior Allyson Nolte for the third base position.

“I give her competition and she gives me competition,” Denee’ said. “I don’t look at it, as ‘I can’t lose my position to her.’ It’s more like ‘I have to keep fighting for my position.'”

Denee’ said Nolte has been motivating her well all season and is looking to become an all-around player, but enjoys the camaraderie with her teammates.

Denee’, however, could not have accomplished what she has done on the softball field without her parents by her side.

“My parents had a huge influence on me,” Denee’ said. “They would always be working with me, sending me to hitting coaches and coaches that would teach me the fundamentals of the game.”

Greg and Lori gave Denee’, and her brother, support while pursuing sports and helped them as much as they could, Greg said.

He said they are proud of Denee’ and that they did not need to motivate her that much.

“When things aren’t going so well, you got to try to help that way and when things are good, you just keep quiet,” Greg Menzione said. “And we’re not talking too much for Denee’ right now.”

Family comes first

Family comes first

Menzione shows some of her moves off as third baseman before practice Tuesday afternoon. The Panther third baseman and her team face Indiana STate today at 3 p.m. in Eastern’s home opener. (Jay Grabiec/The Daily Eastern News)

Family comes first

Family comes first

Freshman third baseman Denee’ Menzione lays on top of third base at Williams Field before practice Tuesday afternoon. Menzione hit four home runs in six games during the softball teams spring break trip to California. (Jay Grabiec/The Daily Eastern News)