Triple Threat – Shaved heads

The revelation of Britney Spears’ having a bald head is shocking and disturbing.

What the former pop star was thinking when she shaved off her hair is unknown.

The days of her being an innocent, southern girl who adolescent boys probably wish would have hit them one more time, are long gone.

But in sports, athletes have always sported the shaved head look. Sometimes, entire teams would shave their heads in preparation for postseason play.

Here are three athletes we think look better (somewhat) than Spears with a shaved head:

1. Rik Smits, Indiana Pacers – One can only look back at laughter when the former Indiana Pacer center shaved his head for the NBA playoffs in 1999. The 7-foot-4 Dutchman was certainly an easy target to spot with his bald head.

2. David Beckham, LA Galaxy – The most popular soccer player in the world, Beckham’s hair trends set the standard in England. Five years ago, when Beckham shaved his golden locks, it set off a worldwide frenzy. Now with Beckham in the United States and his fro-hawk being the new faze, one can only wonder which Beckham hairstyle will catch on next.

3. Michael Jordan, Chicago Bulls – The greatest basketball player in the world is instantly recognizable because of his shaved head. One can’t picture Jordan wth hair. It would be hard-pressed to conjure up the same memories of MJ with an Afro, cornrows or dreadlocks.

Triple Threat – Shaved heads

Triple Threat - Shaved heads

Britney Spears with a full set of hair (File photo/The Daily Eastern News)