Be like Mike

Eastern head coach Mike Miller is stopped randomly to talk about it. He has received e-mails and gets phone calls all wanting to talk about six seconds of play.

“You certainly don’t see something like that very often,” Miller said. “People are still talking about it because of the excitement in the moment.”

Panthers sophomore point guard Mike Robinson may break records and win awards before his four-year career is over but on one night in December he cemented his name to an Eastern all-time moment.

Robinson’s 40-foot buzzer beater to defeat Arkansas State 73-70 Saturday night was a play that, according to some, will be remembered for quite a while.

“I would certainly rate it a Top 10 moment or shot since I’ve been doing Eastern basketball games,” WEIU play-by-play broadcaster Mike Bradd said.

Bradd has been calling Eastern games for 19 years.

The point guard is averaging 10.8 points, 4 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game.

“He’s really coming on but I believe his best days are in front of him,” Miller said

The first person Robinson called in the locker room was his parents in Chicago who were unable to make to Lantz Arena.

“My father was the first person I called to let him know,” Robinson said.

Robinson’s father Vernon recently suffered a stroke and therefore is unable to attend Eastern games his son plays in.

“I try to call them after every game and let them know how I played and I how I feel,” Robinson said. “My family is a main influence in my life.”

Growing up in Chicago allowed Robinson to develop toughness and confident nature not normally witnessed in a 19-year-old.

“He is not only the best but he’s the toughest player to defend I’ve ever seen,” Eastern guard Freddie Perry said. “Playing against Mike makes you realize what D-I is all about.”

Robinson says his on-the-court style comes from the pick up games in the local playgrounds around Chicago.

“Playing on the concert is a lot more rougher and serious, kind of like a job where people are running to the gates to see it,” Robinson said. “You’re playing with grown men at an early age.”

When it came time to attend high school Robinson figured he would simply go to the local public school with all of his friends but his mother had other ideas.

“She said that Hales (Franciscan) would be the best place for me,” Robinson said.

It’s safe to say Robinson disagreed with that assessment.

“Think about it this way,” he said. “I didn’t want to go to catholic school, I would get joked on wearing a shirt, tie, dress pants to school and then I found out it was an all-boys school.”

Robinson had to get up usually when it was still dark outside and get on two different buses to make it to class on time. At Hales Franciscan High School, Robinson averaged 15.1 points per game during his junior year, shooting 49 percent from the field, 45 percent from beyond the arc while leading his team to the IHSA Class A state championship. In the title game, Robinson scored 30 points and was named Most Valuable Player of the game, co-MVP of the Class A Tournament and first team All-Chicago Catholic League whose team defeated Winnebago, 78-62.

The next year Hales was intent on defending its title but little did they know of the impending IHSA decision. The governing body of Illinois High School basketball ruled Hales Franciscan head coach Gary London violated rules by recruiting players. Hales was stripped of its previous state title and forced to forfeit its games the next two seasons.

“It was so frustrating because we never got to defend the title we earned,” Robinson said. “I don’t care what the ruling is, we won that title.”

Robinson was not heavily recruited by Division I schools until Miller was hired at Eastern two years ago.

“Coach Miller told me he wanted me to play the point and I never had played that position before coming here,” Robinson said.

Robinson was going to play shooting guard at a junior college in Texas before once again his family stepped in and talked him into attending Eastern.

“They said they weren’t used to being so far away from me and (my mother) said they wanted me at a place where me and your father can see you,” Robinson said.

After signing with the Panthers, Robinson became the first recruit out of the Windy City since 1992.

Once arriving on Eastern’s campus, Robinson began to get frustrated by the structured nature of Division I college basketball.

“For a while I didn’t think the coaches liked me at all,” Robinson said. “I began to realize they were just trying to make me a better basketball player.”

Then after a freshman campaign which included winning the 2005 OVC Freshman of the Year award, three players (center George Tandy, forward Bil Duany and guard Kyree Brown) all left the Eastern team which caused Robinson to think about leaving. Speculation surrounded he might joint former high school teammate Nate Minnoy at Purdue.

“I looked around and saw all my friends leaving and yeah, it was thought, maybe like 20 percent,” Robinson said. “Everybody kept telling me this was the right place for me and so I figured it has to be right.”

Robinson is looking to play professional basketball either in the NBA or overseas after graduation but is unsure of his willingness to leave the country.

“I get asked every time I get home ‘Hey Mike when are you going to the league?'” he said. “But you have to have a lot of courage to leave everyone to play over there.”

Be like Mike

Be like Mike

Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News Sophomore guard Mike Robinson stand where he took the game-winning 40-foot shot to win the game against Arkansas State University during last Saturday’s game in Lantz Arena.