A dedicated leader gets recognized

The title female athlete of the year carries with it the connotation of success, determination and respect.

To be honored, one must not only prove to be a leader in percentages for her sport, but she must exhibit a thorough understanding of the game and a passion for the sport. She must have a determined and inspiring work ethic.

And she must be an athlete who sets the bar higher every game and every season in order to push her team to achieve more, and through those efforts lead herself to success.

Megan Sparks does all of these things.

“She dedicated herself in her senior year,” head coach Brady Sallee said.

In the preseason, Sparks went through an extensive summer fitness and skill program, trading her time in the sun for hours in the gym.

“She ran with the football team and lifted harder than she had ever lifted in her entire life,” Sallee said. “That was the best part of the story for me. I challenged her and she stepped up to the challenge. This season was something she really worked hard for.”

Statistically, the Mattoon native led her team and conference this year in many categories.

Beyond numbers, head coach Brady Sallee says Sparks is one of the main reasons the program has turned around and is now building a tradition of hard work and success with an eye towards the future.

Players with attitudes like Sparks are how you build a program, said Sallee.

“You talk cliches — one brick at a time, well that one (Sparks) was a big brick.”

Sparks stats topped Eastern’s roster this season. She was first in points scored, field goals, 3-point field goals, free throw percentage and minutes played and ranked second in assists, steals and blocked shots.

In the entire Ohio Valley Conference, she ranked second in minutes played with 37.2 per game. And finished fourth in points scored and fifth in scoring percentage with an average of 16.2 points per game.

However, personal goals are secondary to the team goals, Sparks said.

Head coach Brady Sallee says there isn’t a stat that will adequately represent the value of Sparks to his team.

“She was our go-to player. When the game was on the line we all felt comfortable putting the ball in her hands,” he said. “More times than not she delivered, players like that are special.”

Sallee said whether Sparks drove to the rim or dished it off for an assist, it was her decision-making that was key to the wins.

“There are a lot of players out there that can score 1,000 points for their career or players who can score 15,16 points per game, but when the game is on the line and everything is riding on it, the players that want the ball and want to take that shot, they are worth a lot. Megan was one of those players,” he said. “She not only excelled at it, she expected it and wanted it.”

Although the team finished in eighth this season, her success helped land the Panthers atop the conference in free throw percentage, second in 3-point field goal percentage, and third in assists.

Sparks attributed a huge part of her success to her fans, who have watched her since she played at Mattoon High School.

Her play earned her the respect of her opponents.

“Megan was a wonderful young lady, she was a thorn in our side, and a tremendous athlete,” Tennessee Tech head coach Bill Worrell said. “I would have loved to have her on my team, she’s just a great competitor and one of the best in the league. I love to watch her play.”

Sparks knew early on that sports would be the channel for her competitive nature.

Her father, Tony Sparks, said she has wanted the ball in her hands since she could walk.

“After dinner when she was younger she’d get me outside and we were always doing something, basketball, softball, something,” he said.

“I love watching her play,” said her sister, Mindy Sparks. “Ever since I can remember, I remember watching her play.”

Sparks found success with basketball early, she helped bring her seventh and eighth grade teams to state finals and spending four years on a winning AAU basketball team. In high school, Sparks made the varsity team in her freshman year and continued to excel, establishing a reputation of leadership and skill that followed her to Eastern.

“She is and was very intelligent, has great basketball sense and knowledge, is quite a competitor, a very hard worker, and very team-oriented,” said George Reed, who coached Sparks at Mattoon High School.

“She was a girl that wasn’t afraid to lose in the sense that she wanted to take the last shot, and she wanted to accept that pressure on herself,” Reed said. “There ain’t anybody else better on the floor.”

Coach Reed’s favorite memory of Sparks was playing a game without her because of injury. It made him really appreciate her talent and how much easier the game was with her on the floor.

Her teammates at Eastern will soon feel what it’s like to play without the power forward who started all 29 games this season.

“Sparks was a leader on our team, everyone respected her and looked up to her. She was intense when we played but also a friend off the court,” said junior Meggie Eck. “I admire how she led by example often times. She might not talk or yell to get everyone motivated, but sometimes when you looked at her you knew she was focused and intense.”

Teammate freshman Rachel Galligan has also been inspired by Sparks.

“I most admire her determination and her drive to make our team the best that we could be,” she said. “She’s taught me how to control myself and calm myself down when I get upset. And also from seeing her, I have a better understanding of how I want to lead from here on out.”

Although the team will feel the loss of their star guard, Sparks has shown an interest in staying on at Eastern in a coaching capacity. Whether she’ll continue to influence the program from a coaches seat on the bench or not, she hopes if she has instilled anything in her team, it is the attitude that it takes hard work and dedication. But anything can happen.

A dedicated leader gets recognized

A dedicated leader gets recognized

Female athlete of the year, senior guard Megan Sparks earned the title by leading her team this season. The double threat shooter joins the ranks of several of her teammates in breaking club records this year. Sparks tied the single game free throw percen