Beebe steps down as OVC commish

Dan Beebe continued to climb the NCAA ladder by resigning as Ohio Valley Conference Commissioner Wednesday to accept a position as Associate Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer of the Big 12 Conference.

“It makes sense for a natural progression in my career,” Beebe said.

Beebe was also a finalist for the commissioner of the Southeastern Conference commissioner position.

“I’ve been talking with the Commissioner of the Big 12 for about a month or so,” Beebe said.

Beebe has served as commissioner since 1989 and is known in his 13 years for adding five new members to the conference including the involvement of Eastern in 1996. He also negotiated a multi-year television contract for football and basketball with ESPN and Fox Sports Net.

“His major accomplishments have been a benefit to all of the men’s and women’s programs in our league,” said President of Southeast Missouri State and the OVC Presidents Council.

Beebe was instrumental in helping the OVC host the first and second rounds of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and securing a bid to host in 2005.

“Since I’ve been here for so long, I’m going to miss certain things about the OVC and the people involved in it,” Beebe said.

Beebe is excited about working in a more prominent conference, especially being able to be involved in a football championship game and the Bowl Championship Series.

“I think that the kind of issues that I’ll be dealing with will change like the BCS and more television,” Beebe said.

Beebe felt torn about leaving the OVC to pursue more exciting options and will always remember his time with the eighth-oldest conference.

“Words can’t express the privilege and honor that I have held while holding this position,” Beebe said.

The OVC presidents will meet via conference call Jan. 17 to appoint an interim commissioner and develop a timetable for selecting a permanent replacement.

Beebe begins his new duties at the Big 12 Feb. 10.

Beebe steps down as OVC commish