Battle of the heavyweights

By Matt Williams and Nate Bloomquist

Staff writers

The Panthers have defeated Eastern Kentucky in each of the last three years.

But it’s last year’s 21-17 come-from behind win in Richmond, Ky. that is at the front of the Colonels’ minds.

Eastern Kentucky head coach Roy Kidd would’ve earned his 300th career win. The Colonels have a chance to spoil Panther head coach Bob Spoo’s hopes at breaking a milestone in Saturday’s Homecoming game at O’Brien Stadium (1:30 p.m., WHQQ-FM 98.9). Spoo would become the all-time winningest football coach in Panther history with a win over the Colonels.

“There is no reason for them not to be ready for this game,” Spoo said. “They’ll be up and ready to go. They should be prepared mentally and emotional.

Here is how the two teams match up:

Offense

EKU brings in a solid running attack with over 250 yards per game. The Colonels feature two quality tailbacks in sophomore All-American candidate C.J. Hudson and junior Terry Ennis.

Hudson ranks second in the Ohio Valley Conference with 100.33 yards per game with 10 touchdowns while Ennis adds 63.17 yards with 6.65 yards per carry.

EKU has not had the same luck in the air by only managing 136 passing yards per game. Senior quarterback Travis Turner has only tossed two touchdown passes compared to seven interceptions.

The Colonels make good use of all the yards that they do gain as they boast the highest scoring offense with almost 35 points per game. They are 13-for-13 in red zone opportunities over the last three games.

Eastern could match up with EKU’s ground game if they didn’t have Romo as a threat too. Tailbacks J.R Taylor and Andre Raymond are just as dangerous as Hudson and Ennis with 172 yards on the ground per game, but don’t have to carry the same load.

Romo, the OVC’s top rated passer, will look to add onto his 15 touchdown passes and 1,346 passing yards. He needs only 10 more touchdowns to become Eastern’s career leader.

The combination of the Panthers three big guns and a corps of dependable receivers gives Spoo the highest powered offense in the OVC.

Edge: Eastern

Defense

The Colonels’ lack of offensive yardage is made up for by their stingy defense. EKU ranks first in both yards (245.7) allowed and points (17.5) allowed. The Colonels have given up a combined total of nine points in their last three games and limited Tennessee-Martin to 111 yards of total offense last weekend in a 58-3 rout.

Sophomore linebacker Justen Rivers came back after missing two games with an injury to lead the team with 10 tackles and a 50 yard fumble return for a touchdown to help earn him OVC defensive honors for the week.

The Panthers have given up loads of yardage in their first five games of the season earning them a last-place national ranking in pass defense with 307.2 yards per game.

EKU’s run defense has been a little more promising as they are second in the OVC behind EKU in ground yard allowed with 139.8 yards per game.

Junior All-American linebacker Nick Ricks is the Panthers defensive leader. Eastern has also seen the emergence of freshman defensive back George Love who leads the team in interceptions with two.

Edge: Eastern Kentucky

Special Teams

EKU leads the OVC in punt return yardage with 10 yards per return. Junior kicker Adam Smith has made 25-of-26 extra points and is 3-for-4 on field goal attempts.

Sophomore punter Phil Kuhl is second in the conference with an average of 38.83 yards per punt and a 35.88 net average.

Eastern has the best kick returner in the league in raymond with a 26.22 average per return. Raymond also puts up 10 yards per punt return.

Freshman punter Tom Schofield is right behind Kuhl with 36 yards per punt while freshman kicker Steve Kuehn is 15-of-19 on extra-point kicks and 2-for-4 on field goal attempts.

Edge: Push

Final Score: Eastern 28, EKU 24

Battle of the heavyweights