Tennis teams battle Bradley at home

The men’s and women’s tennis teams will host Bradley University Tuesday in a non-conference matchup on the Darling Courts.

Despite the forecast for morning showers, head coach Brian Holzgrafe is hoping to hold the competition outdoors rather than moving the meet into Lantz Fieldhouse like they did Friday against the University of Illinois-Chicago.

Both the men and women come into this competition with solid victories over Austin Peay Saturday.

On the men’s side, Bradley brings a younger team to Eastern.

“Bradley has very good potential, but with young players sometimes they don’t know how to react to situations,” Holzgrafe said. “It’s definitely a program that could do some good things though.

“My boys came in today with a little more confidence. My job is to reassure their awareness. It was a windy day in practice (Monday), but I saw effort.”

The men (5-5) are still without No. 1 singles player C.J. Weber, who is recovering from an ankle injury.

“Progress is slow, but steady,” Holzgrafe said of Weber. “The team has stepped up.”

Junior Lukaz has been successful at the No. 1 spot, taking his most recent win against Austin Peay’s Marcus Rutsche 6-4, 6-2.

While Bradley’s men’s team is young, Holzgrafe feels their women’s team is even younger.

“Bradley’s men are stronger than the women,” Holzgrafe said.

“Their program is a step further back than the men, but they’re college players that can do some things.”

While the women (3-5) took a loss at Butler last week, the Panthers rebounded to win this weekend 6-1.

“Especially as of last match, everyone is firing on all cylinders,” Holzgrafe said. “They need to go out and be a leader like this weekend.”

Tennis teams battle Bradley at home