Season runs out for Panthers

MURRAY, Ky. – It was as if an unarmed civilian had wandered into a

full-fledged war zone here Tuesday night at the Regional Special Events Center.

The Panthers went into a first-round Ohio Valley Conference tournament war without a single round of ammunition while Murray State unleashed its entire arsenal, for a dominating 103-56 win.

“We had no weapons, so I got no comments,” Eastern head coach Rick Samuels said following the lopsided loss. “By no weapons I mean . we had no one to keep them off the boards. We couldn’t keep them out of transition. We couldn’t make a jump shot. We couldn’t defend them.

“Late in the game, I’m just trying to keep them from scoring 100. I go to a zone defense, and they still penetrate the guts of our zone and score. We had no weapons.”

The Panthers (15-16, 7-9) fired nothing but blanks for the duration of the game, shooting a miserable 26 percent from the floor, including just 12 percent from three-point range.

“It’s a horrible loss. There’s no way they’re 40 points better than us,” sophomore guard Jason Wright said. “We had no rhythm tonight, no chemistry. We had no answers for everything they had. We were a step slow all the way around.”

Junior Henry Domercant, who finishes as the season as the nation’s No. 2 scorer, averaging 26 points per game, finished with a team-high 19 points, but shot just 7-of-24 from the field, including a 2-for-10 effort from three-point range.

“I think we did an outstanding job on Henry Domercant,” Racer head coach

Tevester Anderson said. “He had 19 points, but for him 7-of-24 from the field is not very good at all.”

As has been the case for nearly the entire season, Domercant had absolutely

no consistent scoring support from his teammates. The next highest scorers were sophomore center Jesse Mackinson, junior guard Craig Lewis and freshman forward Andy Gobczynski, all of whom finished the game with just six points.

Forward Todd Bergmann, the team’s lone senior, finished his final game at Eastern with no points and an 0-for-4 shooting effort while junior guard J.R. Reynolds shot a horrific 1-of-14 from the field.

His only bucket was a three-pointer late in the game, the only one he made in eight attempts.

Season runs out for Panthers

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. – The women’s basketball season unraveled in one series Tuesday night in Tennessee Tech’s Elben Center as the Panthers were eliminated from the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament with a 67-43 loss in the first round.