Kooper Jacobi speaks on religion in Q&A

Redshirt+sophomore+forward+Kooper+Jacobi+puts+the+ball+up+in+the+paint+during+the+Panthers+first+mens+basketball+game+of+the+season+against+the+Fighting+Illini+in+the+State+Farm+Center+Monday+night.+Jacobi+led+the+Panthers+by+scoring+10+points+and+rebounding+11+shots.+
Ashanti Thomas
Redshirt sophomore forward Kooper Jacobi puts the ball up in the paint during the Panther’s first men’s basketball game of the season against the Fighting Illini in the State Farm Center Monday night. Jacobi led the Panthers by scoring 10 points and rebounding 11 shots.

Redshirt sophomore forward Kooper Jacobi answered some questions ranging from his favorite bible scripture to if he thinks the Earth is round or flat.  

Q: When did you start playing basketball? 

A: “I started playing basketball when I was 5 or 6, maybe 4. My brother was 2 years older, so he would go play in tournaments some time when we were super young. I remember my grandpa would give me a ball and show me how to do it.” 

Q: Orange juice or apple juice? 

A: “Apple juice, even though orange juice I’m pretty sure is better for you.” 

Q: How has the season been going so far? 

A: “I think it’s been good. I think every season has a learning curve with teams, but especially since we had a newer team, I think that kind of took a little bit the first couple games to get used to the rhythm and the flow, which was expected. But I think it’s been good. And I think we still have a lot of potential that can really be beneficial. I’d say as of right now it’s going really well.”  

Q: Are there any players that you look up to the most? 

A: “Not really. Probably the ones that talk about Jesus the most on the court and off the court. So, in basketball, I can’t really think, but I like some football guys. I always see CJ Stroud and Brock Purdy. I just like guys that talk about Jesus.” 

Q: How did your relationship with Christ start? 

A: “Thankfully, I kind of grew up with parents that believe in Jesus. Probably not until [I was] about 5 or 6 that my mom started taking Jesus seriously, and then my dad came a few years after. And so at 15, I decided to get baptized and, you know, on my own decision, believe that Jesus died on the cross for me and paid for all my sins. So I took that on my own, and then started to read the Bible more, which really made my relationship with Jesus real in my home. So ever since then, I’ve been growing, really, not just wanting to read the word but obey it.” 

Q: Favorite scripture? 

A: “Ephesians 2:8-10: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

Kooper Jacobi (40) says his favorite scripture from the Bible is Ephesians 2:8-10. (File)

Q: What’s your favorite pregame meal? 

A: “In college, it’s changed because they give us different meals before the game. So probably chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans.” 

Q: What’s your favorite post-game meal? 

A: “We’ve had Dirty’s. It’s called a signature pile. It’s chicken bites, french fries, cheese, buffalo sauce [and] ranch in a bowl.” 

Q: Would you rather have a game-winning shot or game-winning block? 

A: “Probably game-winning shot. [I] feel like that would be a lot more exciting. Even though the block is still fun and you win the game, I would go with the shot.” 

Q: Do you think the Earth is round or flat? 

A: “Round. People in space have taken pictures, and it’s clearly round.” 

Q: What’s your favorite basketball team? 

A: “Boston Celtics.” 

Q: What player would you let have the aux before a game? 

A: “Well, from my perspective, I really only listen to Christian music. So, everyone plays rap and stuff, and I’m okay with it, but I don’t know any songs. Caleb [Donaldson], he does play Christian [music and] a little country, which is not my favorite, but he plays songs I know, like older ones when we were teenagers, so I’d go with Caleb.” 

Q: What’s your guilty pleasure? 

A: “If candy weren’t unhealthy, I’d probably eat Sour Patch Kids all day.” 

Q: Do you have any good memories with this team? 

A: “From on the court, Kansas. That was probably the coolest on the court experience with the team, and we’ve had a couple of fun road trips together. I’d say the Kansas game was really cool.” 

Q: Waffles or pancakes? 

A: “Waffles every time.” 

Q: What would you tell your younger self knowing everything that you know now? 

A: “Just to trust in Jesus instead of worrying or trying to control the future or trying to worry about the future. I don’t remember vividly worrying or having nerves about stuff, but I do know at times growing up, 10 or 12 years old, if I would have known to look to Jesus for peace instead of comfort and family and other things, I think that would have made it a little easier.” 

The Sports Staff can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].