EIU not able to overcome first quarter deficit

Eastern’s redshirt freshman forward Sydney-James Desroches shoots over University of Tennessee-Martin’s freshman forward Tori Rubel. The Panthers lost to the Skyhawks 80-65 Thursday evening in Groniger Arena. (Sia DeyKoontz)

Eastern women’s basketball loses 65-80 to UT Martin, which snaps its four-game win streak. 80 points is the most points that Eastern has allowed to any Ohio Valley Conference team this season. 

“Yeah, I guess we’re just really disappointed,” head coach Matt Bollant said. “We didn’t guard the way we needed to, we didn’t take things away and that was disappointing” 

The Panthers remain tied for second place in the OVC, as Little Rock lost against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Both teams are tied for second with a 6-3 record in the OVC. 

Eastern was behind early in the game, losing the first quarter 28-16. The Panthers have let up more than 28 points only once this season, when they gave up 29 against ninth ranked Indiana University. 

Sophomore guard Ellie Buzzelle scored eight points in the first quarter but was no match for the Skyhawk trio of redshirt freshman Kenley McCarn, sophomore forward Anaya Brown and freshman forward Norah Clark, who all combined for 19 points in the first. 

The Panthers kept the second quarter tighter, scoring 15 points to the Skyhawks 17. UT Martin maintained the lead at 45-31. Junior forward Taris Thorton, who got her first double-double of the season, scored seven points in this quarter.  

The third quarter saw a small resurgence by the Panthers. Six personal fouls by the Skyhawks led to 11 free throw opportunities. Thorton had six opportunities this quarter and hit two of them. She went five for 11 on free throws in the game. 

The UT Martin offense put up 20 points in the third, which helped to stop Eastern from coming back into the game. The third quarter ended 65-51.  

Both teams’ defenses shined in the fourth, with UT Martin only being able to score 15 to Eastern’s 14. This late showing was too little too late for the Panthers, as the Skyhawks walked away with the win 80-65. 

Junior forward Macy McGlone earned her 17th double-double, which is her tenth in a row. 

The Panthers’ next game will be on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Groniger Arena. They will be playing Little Rock for sole possession of second place in the OVC. 

Aidan Cusack can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].