McGlone scores 30 in OT win

Junior forward Macy McGlone was able to propel the Panthers to a 71-67 win with her 30-point, 19-rebound performance. (File)

Eastern won an overtime thriller against Tennessee State University 71-67. 

With a career-high 19 rebounds and 30 points from junior forward Macy McGlone, the Panthers were able to come back from an 11-point deficit in the fourth quarter. This was also McGlone’s 16th double-double and her ninth in a row. 

The Panthers got off to a slow start as they had seven turnovers in the first quarter. They were able to find a groove as the game progressed. 

I mean, honestly we struggled with turnovers a lot, and I think we just knew that we needed to fix it, or we weren’t going to be able to win the game,” McGlone said. “That was like the main thing we did. It’s just like mentally we were kind of like alright, everyone calm down, they’re speeding us up, like stop throwing the ball.” 

At the end of the first half Tennessee State was up 32-29. The Panthers started out slow in the first half but were able to come out after the half and turn things around. In the first half, McGlone only had eight points and head coach Matt Bollant wanted to change that in the second half.

“We did a much better job in the second half of making sure we saw [McGlone] and got her the ball when she was open,” Bollant said. 

The Panthers fell behind by 11 early into the fourth but led by McGlone, the Panthers came back from the deficit, and with 25 seconds left, junior guard Miah Monahan put the Panthers up by one. Tennessee State was able to tie it up with a free throw and send the game to overtime.  

Monahan opened the scoring in overtime which would give the Panthers the lead that they wouldn’t give up after that. Monahan finished the game with 10 points on 4-14 shooting but was able to help her team immensely. 

“I just had to find something within,” Monahan said. “I knew going into the fourth quarter that this game could change I step up and find some heart. [Associate head coach] Marqus [McGlothan] looked at me and said find some heart and that’s what I did.” 

Eastern started out slow as they have in multiple games this season but were able to make the comeback in the fourth quarter like the games before.  

“Yeah, I’ll give the other teams credit,” Bollant said. “I just think that there’s not much difference in the top and bottom right now. Our league, the bottom teams, is taking a step. Lindenwood today beat UT Martin at Martin. So, you know the bottom teams are all capable and these guys lost in overtime to Western Illinois. They beat Little Rock who’s one of the best teams. So, they’re just not much separation. So, you’re going to have a lot of close games.” 

The Panthers improved to 9-12 overall and 6-2 in the Ohio Valley Conference. Tennessee State dropped to 5-13 and 2-6 in the OVC. 

The Panthers play UT Martin who is 7-12 overall and 4-4 in the OVC. The game takes place on Thursday at 5 p.m. in Groniger Arena. 

*This story was updated from the previous synopsis.

Patrick Schmitz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].