COLUMN: A Halloween match up

Ashanti Thomas

Every Halloween I am reminded of the constant battle between Vampires and Werewolves, and which is better. Personally, I am not very opinionated on this topic.

However, this is not the case when I voiced the idea of this article to a few residents around me as we watched Halloween movies together in our hall’s lobby.

In the lobby were 15 people, 7 who were Team Vampire, 4 were Team Werewolf, and 4 who did not find either the coolest or did not know.

I have never added other opinions into my articles before but the reasons I got for why they chose their teams are so funny. Originally, I wanted to simply voice my opinion on the fact they are both just creatures created to cause fear in the past.

Now, I truly am thinking about how both allow people to just have fun conversations and make media about monsters.

I asked everyone the same question. “What reasons do you have for being Team Vampire or Team Werewolf?”

Up first, Team Vampire.

“Super speed, super strength, mind control in certain iterations, not having to transform only on full moons and being able to be a vampire at all times, increased senses, cooler clothes… Tell me a vampire does not wear cooler clothes than a werewolf. Massive castles, have control of their body and mind at all times while werewolves lose their memory and control of their body,” said Elijah Daniel, a junior Elementary Education major while counting off reasons on his fingers.

I have to say, so far Team Vampire was starting off strong.

The next person I asked was Devynn Egbert, a sophomore Computer Science major. “Could you imagine you are super-fast, super strong, you are really cool. Why would you want to be a werewolf?”

I think the most related answer comes from Morgan Cramer, a freshman Kinesiology major, “They get to sleep all day. That is my favorite thing about them. And they can read minds. That is my second favorite thing.”

Team Werewolf was a bit less enthusiastic about answering my questions, so I only got two responses.

The first is from Kai Thomas, a freshman Business Administration major, “They are better because they are like giant dogs. I feel like my evidence is inconsequential compared to everyone else.” They laugh and continue.

“All the werewolves are better than the vampire movies. They are in tune with nature and connected to the moon which is really cool. They follow in packs and are very family-oriented. Vampires just stab each other in the back. Plus, they are cuddly and have nice eyes.”

The second person on Team Werewolf was Alex Gutierrez, a freshman graphic design major, his answer: “They are more fun to draw.”

I gave a quick chuckle and asked him, “Anything else?”

The response: “Not really.”

Finally, out of corner number three. A surprise contender in this battle between Vampire and Werewolf.

“Honestly, I am team goblin. Vampires and Werewolves are perceived as sexy and usually designed to be sexy, making them not sexy. Goblins have a unique design that has qualities that

are not being sexy making them actually sexier than vampires and werewolves,” said a student who wanted to stay anonymous.

I never really understood why they fought each other in movies like ‘Twilight.’ It just seems like a silly rivalry. I think I might be gravitating towards Team Goblin. I feel like I would be friends with a goblin, but a vampire or werewolf would try to eat me or something.

Kierstyn Budz can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.