COLUMN: I want to go to more EIU sporting events before I graduate

Kate Stevens is a senior sports media relations major and can be reached at 581-2912 or [email protected].

Kate Stevens, Assistant Sports Editor

This year has gone by so fast. I can’t believe we are in the final stretch of the semester with just about seven weeks to go. After spring break, it just goes by in the blink of an eye.

It feels like we just began the year off with football, volleyball, cross country, and soccer. Then it feels like we just blew through basketball, swimming, and indoor track. Now we are in the swing of things with beach volleyball, outdoor track, baseball, softball, tennis, and golf.

While it feels like things are starting to wind down as the end of the year gets closer, there are still so many things to enjoy when it comes to sports at EIU.

If you want to escape the reality of being back on campus or thinking about finals or graduating soon, go support your peers at a game. There is always something going on around campus in the spring with the most sports happening at once.

If you need something to do as spring begins here soon, check out some baseball, softball, or beach volleyball games. There is also a home track event this weekend and there are also tennis matches that will be going on on campus for the next several weeks, so be sure to go check them out. Unfortunately there are no home golf tournaments.

There will also be a spring football game on April 22, which I am looking forward to. With football as my personal favorite sport, I am looking forward to getting to see some football action. Jimmy G will also be having his jersey number retired that day, so that will be a very exciting time.

If you want to feel like you are at the beach, you have got to watch the beach volleyball team. If you didn’t get enough beach action over spring break, this is the perfect sport for you to watch. This is the first season that the team will be hosting games at Sister City Park here in Charleston.

I’m excited for what is to come regarding EIU sports in the coming weeks. I hope to see you out there! I’m looking forward to warm weather and some entertaining EIU games before I graduate.

Summer is so close to being here, but make sure you take some time to get out and enjoy these sports on campus before leaving for the summer. There are sure to be some good ones.

Kate Stevens can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]