EIU women’s basketball falls to Golden Eagles in OVC Tournament semifinal game

Autumn Schulz, Sports Editor

First Quarter

EVANSVILLE, IND. — The Eastern women’s basketball team is down 20-14 at the end of the first quarter of the OVC Tournament semifinal game against Tennessee Tech.

There was an 11-2 run by the Golden Eagles to open up the first quarter led by Anna Walker and Maaliya Owens, who had four and five points respectively.

The run was broken by senior guard Lariah Washington on a quick look under the basket by Miah Monahan.

Monahan then followed it up with a layup on a fast break, cutting the lead to 11-6.

Sophomore guard Miah Monahan (3), goes up for a layup under the basket at the Ohio Valley Conference championships against Tennessee Tech Friday afternoon. The Panthers lose to the Golden Eagles 61-66. (Ashanti Thomas)

Sophomore First Team All-OVC and OVC Newcomer Team player, Macy McGlone, cut the lead to 11-9 after a successful and-one.

The game was then tied 11-11 by Washington on a pullup jumper.

The Golden Eagles retook the lead 17-11 after two successful 3-pointers back-t0-back, giving them a 6-0 run advantage.

The 7-0 run was broken by Monahan with an and-one, cutting the lead to 18-14.

Owens continued to be an offensive firecracker as she put up two points in the paint, giving the Golden Eagles the 20-14 advantage at the end of the quarter.

Second Quarter

McGlone put up two points in the paint for the Panthers after the assist by Litwiller to cut the lead to 20-16 to begin the second quarter.

The lead was then cut to 20-18 after a putback by Taris Thornton. Thornton followed it up on the next possession with another layup, tying the game 20-20.

Washington capitalized on a Golden Eagle turnover and pulled up for a jumper. Down on the other end of the floor, Jada Guinn did the same thing, tying the game 22-22.

Monahan was put on the line after a shooting foul by Owens, making one of two free throws, giving the Panthers a one point advantage.

Walker continued to prove her presence behind the 3-point line, giving the Golden Eagles a 26-23 lead. Walker then had a pullup jumper.

A basket by McGlone in the paint cut the lead back down to two. On the Golden Eagles’ next possession, Owens had a driving layup up the middle.

Sophomore forward Macy Mcglone (33), avoids the defender and attempts to score under the basket at the EIU women’s basketball game vs. Tenneesee Tech Friday afternoon. The Panthers lost to the Golden Eagles 61-66. (Ashanti Thomas)

Litwiller did the same thing on the other end of the floor, cutting the lead to 29-27. Washington tied the game up on a layup.

McGlone put up two points in the paint once again but Thornton earned her second personal foul after fouling Walker on the shot under the basket.

Walker went to the line and put in one of two.

On the Panthers’ next possession, Washington turned the ball over and fouled Cayla Cowart in the process.

Cowart was able to put in both shots for the Golden Eagles, giving them the 32-21 advantage going into the locker room at halftime.

Halftime Statistics 

The Golden Eagles shot 34 percent from the field while the Panthers are shoot 45 percent. The Golden Eagles were 4-of-12 from the 3-point line.

The Golden Eagles had four turnovers while the Panthers had five and the Golden Eagles  outrebounded the Panthers 23-18.

Walker led the Golden Eagles with 13 points and five rebounds. Owens followed behind her with nine points.

McGlone led the Panthers with nine points and six rebounds and Washington had eight points.

Third Quarter

After the half, the Panthers put up two after a driving layup by Monahan.

McGlone put up two in the paint after capitalizing on a turnover, giving the Panthers a 35-32 lead.

Walker tied the game with a 3-pointer for the Golden Eagles on the next possession.

The Golden Eagles took the 37-35 lead after a fast break layup by Walker, giving the Golden Eagles a 5-0 advantage.

A 3-pointer by Reghan Grimes increased the run to 8-0. The run was broken by Washington on a pullup jumper, cutting the lead to 40-37.

Senior guard Lariah Washington (22), protects the ball from a Tennessee Tech defender while making a one handed pass to a teammate at the Ohio Valley Conference Friday afternoon. The Panthers lost to the Golden Eagles 61-66. (Ashanti Thomas)

McGlone was able to put up two in the paint after a quick look by Washington from the top of the key, cutting the lead to one.

On the next possession, Owens put up two after a pullup jumper but Litwiller quickly answered back with a layup, cutting the lead to 42-41.

McGlone gave the Panthers the 43-42 lead after a putback. Walker answered back with a layup, giving the Golden Eagles a one point advantage.

Litwiller had her own putback after a missed 3-pointer by Lyric Johnson, giving the Panthers a one point advantage.

A pullup jumper by Washington in the corner put the Panthers on top 47-44, forcing the Golden Eagles to call a timeout with two minutes to go.

Owens came back after the timeout with a layup, cutting the Panthers’ lead to one. McGlone answered back with some points in the paint.

A look by Monahan from the 3-point line allowed McGlone to put up more points in the paint, giving the Panthers a 51-46 lead to end the third quarter.

Fourth Quarter

To begin the last quarter of the semifinal game, Owens struck first with a layup in the paint.

Washington answered back with a pullup jumper in the paint, boosting the Panthers’ lead to 53-48. On the next possession for the Panthers, Washington once again pulled up in the paint, pushing the lead to 55-48.

The Golden Eagles took a timeout after the shot.

McGlone’s first foul of the game sent Grimes to the line and she was able to put in one.

Washington had a putback after a missed two-foot shot by McGlone in the paint, pushing the lead to 57-49 for the Panthers

McGlone was fouled under the basket, giving her the opportunity to put in two for the Panthers, giving them a 10 point lead.

Owens answered back directly after on the other end of the floor with a layup. Owens once again had points in the paint, cutting the lead to 59-53.

The Panthers took a timeout after a foul by McGlone.

After the timeout, McGlone fouled once again, giving her her third foul of the game, sending Owens to the line. She was able to put in two, cutting the lead to 59-55.

An offensive foul by Thornton while fighting for possession of the ball gave it back to the Golden Eagles.

Sophomore forward Taris Thornton (25), avoids the Tennessee Tech defender out of her way as she dribbles towards the basket during their game at the Ohio Valley Conference Friday afternoon. The Panthers lost 61-66 to the Golden Eagles. (Ashanti Thomas)

Jada Guinn had some points in the paint, cutting the lead and then a turnover by Litwiller allowed the Golden Eagles to tie the game 59-59.

Litwiller was fouled on the shot, sending her to the line, but she missed both free throws.

McGlone was fouled going up for a rebound, giving the Panthers the ball back. A backcut by Washington put the Panthers up by two.

A pullup jumper by Guinn tied the game for the Golden Eagles 61-61. A foul by Litwiller sent Guinn to the free throw line, putting the Golden Eagles up by two with two minutes to go.

A three seconds in the lane call on McGlone gave the Golden Eagles the ball back.

Washington then had a missed pullup jumper after a offensive turnover by the Golden Eagles.

A driving layup by Guinn with 25 seconds left on the clock put the Golden Eagles up 65-61.

A foul by Washington sent Grimes to the free throw line, allowing her to make one. Two missed 3-pointers by Washington were the last offensive attempts by the Panthers.

The Golden Eagles advanced to the OVC Championship with a score of 66-61 over the Panthers.

Autumn Schulz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]