EDITORIAL: Women in journalism numbers rising, sexist views not

Editorial Board

The women at The News have had a myriad of experiences as women in the journalism field in our short time in the work field. We have also witnessed the experiences of other women journalists as well.

While no longer a male-dominated field with a 2021 demographic of 53.4% of all journalists in the United States being women according to Zippia, it ranges based on the format of journalism.

In November 2017, statista reported there to be a female to male percentage ratio of journalists in different fields as 37:63 in evening broadcast, 41:59 in print, 31:69 in wires, and 40:60 in internet journalism and reporting.

With an increase in the population of women journalists, the industry still has a disparity with sexism in journalism.

A note from Madelyn Kidd, Editor-in-Chief/former News Editor

When reporting for the news section, there are at times a few hurdles to cross when reporting as a woman.

Sometimes there are men, professors, administration and students, who you can tell do not respect you as much as they would a man.

Sometimes, it is only from a lacking mutual respect level, but other times a man will look at you in a way that you are not a journalist, you are a person being evaluated for your sex appeal.

It would be nice to tell you that it does not occur that often, but some days with different events or groups, that would be a lie.

However, it is mostly just a wish for a mutual respect level while getting interviews or taking photos.

Many men ask how women could possibly know a man does not respect her as much as he would if she were a man; it is survival instinct.

For our own safety, women have had to know how a man is feeling- especially about her. Almost every dangerous situation a women will ever be in will be because of a man.

Sometimes the sexism is in your own newsroom.

I have experienced multiple male reporters working under me yell, get in my face, stalk towards me, etc. when they were angry. And they were not even angry with me. Yet, when the male Editor-in-Chief at the time stepped in, those male reporters became calm and civilized while still expressing their anger to the Editor-in-Chief.

That is when I first learned first-hand how things are different in the work field between men and women.

There are still a vast majority of non-sexist experiences. For the most part when covering the news, it is obvious their dislike for you is not because you are a woman, it is because you are sticking your nose somewhere they do not think it belongs. A.K.A. you are looking into something they want to remain hidden.

A note from Kate Stevens, Assistant Sports Editor

Being a woman student journalist has been one of the best experiences of my college career.

I have gotten to know other people, learn new things, and perfect my craft.

The biggest thing about being a woman journalist in today’s world is the joy of lifting up our fellow women in journalism.

If we are not supporting or encouraging our fellow women journalists, then what are we doing?

As hard as being a woman in this industry can be, we should not waste our breath tearing down others who are just trying to do the same thing we are.

We are here to report news and get it out to the world. We should be helpful to one another and help each other when it is needed.

My encouragement to you is to be kind, help others, and get your job as journalists done.

We need to keep the numbers of women flowing into the industry as time keeps going.

Women journalists and all journalists, keep up the good work and fight the good fight that is our amazing industry. Keep doing good things.

A note from Autumn Schulz, Sports Editor

Being a woman in sports journalism is one of the most rewarding aspects of my life.

I get to watch sports, write about them and build connections with others.

Whether it is with athletes, head coaches, assistant coaches, and fellow staff members, being a woman in journalism has brought me some of the most important people of my life.

Of course, there is always a downside to every career. I have experienced being torn down, questioned, and straight up bullied.

My advice to everyone, regardless of who you are, is to do better, but especially do not tear down fellow women journalists.

Women in male dominated fields suffer a lot as it is, and there is no need to add to the hatred because it is quite embarrassing to be on the giving end rather than the receiving.

I have never been embarrassed to be a woman in journalism, and I will never be because I find enjoyment out of lifting up my fellow women.

Women’s History Month is a time to celebrate women and there is not room for anything less.

The Editorial Board can be reached at 581-2812.