Women’s soccer gets on track, goes 2-0 on the weekend

Dillan Schorfheide | The Daily Eastern News Angela Corcoran jumps to block an opposing player’s deep pass down the side of the field. Corcoran scored Eastern’s first goal of the Panthers’ 3-0 win over Morehead State Sunday.

Oscar Rzodkiewicz, Assistant Sports Editor

The Eastern women’s soccer team created six goals in the first two matches of a five-game home stand en route to wins over Jacksonville State and Morehead State this weekend.

Scoring has not come easily for the Panthers as of late; prior to the weekend, Eastern went four straight matches without a score, but head coach Jake Plant said the team’s focus helped the squad break through.

“I would say the biggest thing No. 1 has been sort of a mentality and mindset shift with the girls,” Plant said. “Like I’ve said in the past: Play well, lose games, and it really frustrates you. In terms of them being able to deal with that and fight through that and realize they can actually play well and do the things that they’ve done.”

Longtime defensive anchor, senior, Lindsey Carlson opened the weekend scoring for her first career goal in the first half against the Gamecocks (3-10, 0-5 OVC)  before junior Haylee Renick added some insurance with a second-half goal of her own.

An own goal from Jacksonville State lifted the Panthers to the 3-1 win.

Sunday’s story was not much different, as Eastern applied pressure early on Morehead State (4-5-4, 2-2-1 OVC) that included a would-be goal just five minutes in on a header from junior Pilar Barrio, which was called off due to being offside.

Senior Angie Corcoran delivered a shot from well outside the box to beat freshman goalkeeper Kayla Landman to open the scoring in the 43rd minute, and then under 30 seconds later, Barrio ticked the score sheet with a goal off an assist from junior Itxaso Aguero.

Senior Sarah DeWolf added another goal just under 10 minutes into the second half off a quick pass from Barrio, leading to the 3-0 win.

Plant was proud of the offensive effort across the weekend.

“I’ll praise [Barrio] all weekend long. She had 180 minutes of just brilliance,” Plant said. “She’s not the only one. Sarah DeWolf was fantastic today. Itxaso Aguero was fantastic today. Haylee Renick played her role. Ali Hosey who played five minutes, she comes on and does her job like a superstar, and that’s the thing: When we’re asking these girls to come on and do their jobs, they’re doing them.”

Senior goalkeeper Sara Teteak had a much calmer weekend than in the past, facing just six shots on goal and allowing just one past her in 180 minutes of play.

Plant said keeping Teteak out of pressure can help the team moving forward.

“Anytime Sara Teteak only has to pick the ball up and distribute, that’s a good day for Sara,” Plant said. “That’s another thing we’ve been working on are some concepts with the backlines and make sure we give Sara a good, old break.”

Of the seven OVC goalkeepers in conference play with more than 12 saves, Teteak leads them all with a .913 save percentage.

The two victories give Eastern a 3-7-1 record overall and a 2-3-1 clip in OVC play.

The Panthers get one more non-conference matchup Thursday against Southern Illinois at 3 p.m.

Oscar Rzodkiewicz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].