Murray State, Jacksonville State atop OVC women’s soccer standings so far

Oscar Rzodkiewicz, Assistant Sports Editor

Dillan Schorfheide | The Daily Eastern News
Itxaso Aguero starts to make a move on a defender, eventually getting a shot off that was saved. Eastern tied Northern Illinois 1-1 in an exhibition match at Lakeside Field Aug. 16.

After two weeks of women’s soccer, Eastern is treading at the bottom of the pack while Jacksonville State and Murray State share the top of the leaderboard.

The Panthers fell to Missouri-Kansas City Aug. 30 by a 2-1 margin as freshman Nicoletta Anuci recorded the Panthers’ first goal of the season and the first of her college career.

Eastern has yet to hit Lakeside Field for a regular season game as the Panthers head north to face Milwaukee Friday at 7 p.m.

Murray State began the weekend by knocking off Indiana with a 2-1 score before falling to Northern Kentucky Sunday with a 3-1 final.

The Racers were saved against the Hoosiers with an 80th minute goal from junior Rebecca Kubin, which gave Murray State enough to get by.

Sunday the Racers managed three more shots on goal than the Norse, but senior Shawna Zaken scored two goals in four shot attempts to secure the win.

Jacksonville State is right up there alongside the Racers, but the weekend showed a downward trend for the Gamecocks after dropping both of their matches by three goals each.

Lipscomb came into town to dethrone Jacksonville State Aug. 29 with a 3-0 final, outshooting the Gamecocks 18 to 4.

It was much of the same for the Gamecocks against North Alabama Sunday as Jacksonville State surrendered three goals and 20 shots while amassing no scores of their own in defeat.

Southern Illinois Edwardsville remains just behind the top of the standings, but redshirt sophomore MacKenzie Litzsinger was behind nobody in the OVC Offensive Player of the Week poll.

Litzsinger posted two goals in the Cougars’ 4-0 rout of Indiana State Sunday.

The win gives Southern Illinois Edwardsville an even 1-1-1 record on the young season, and the team will put that record to the test Sunday when it hosts Missouri State at 2 p.m.

On the other side of the ball, two Eastern Kentucky players received OVC honors as the Colonels fended Milwaukee by one goal but could not get past Oakland Aug. 29.

The OVC Defensive Player of the Week award went to junior Katie Shaffer, who played 183 minutes on the Colonel defense between the two games, while junior Billie Clark won OVC Goalkeeper of the Week after her shutout over Milwaukee.

It was junior Kylie Thompson that cemented the win over Milwaukee, though, as she netted a penalty kick in the overtime period to secure a 1-0 win.

Freshman Audrey Anderson recorded her first goal of the year in the 4th minute to give the Colonels a lead, but Oakland tied the game back up in the first half and sunk a goal in the 69th minute to secure the win.

Oscar Rzodkiewicz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].