Clutter-free is the way to be in life

Natalee Reynolds, Columnist

Since last week was the first day of spring, I felt as though I needed to get some spring cleaning done. I was able to open up the windows in my house and feel the first cool, fresh breezes of spring air.

Within minutes, our house smelled of earthy air and inspiration, and boy, did those scents get me feelin’ some type of way.

For the first time in a long time, I was able to paint. I had been wanting to paint a cute coffee sign to put above my Keurig, and I was finally able to get around to it.

I was also finally able to get around to some house-decorating and book organization. And by the end of the day, I started my first round of meal prepping: chicken, quinoa, and a homemade avocado salsa.

What I’ve learned from this first-time meal prepping experience, though, is that things taste so, so much better fresh. I knew that already, but for whatever reason, I had higher expectations for the microwave because of a fancier name, I guess. “Meal prep” food, not “leftovers.” Apparently the microwave sees all food as the same and doesn’t magically make meal prepped food taste as fresh as cooked the first time.

But I got my books sorted and was able to put them neatly on a shelf, meal prep, paint, catch up on laundry, and just simply enjoy the day.

I’m hoping that on the next productive day, I’ll be able to clean out my closet and get rid of some (actually a lot) of items.

With spring heading into full swing and summer quickly approaching, I think it’s an appropriate time to address the clutter in our lives.

The weather is warming up and allowing us to clean out our lives a little bit, so we should all take advantage of it.

Henry David Thoreau once said: “Live the life you’ve always imagined.” So live it. Get rid of the clutter in your life— people included. And live your life.

Natalee Reynolds is a sophomore English and creative writing major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].