‘Tis (not) the season of Christmas cheer

Natalee Reynolds, Columnist

November is here, but it is not the time for Christmas cheer just yet. I don’t mean to rain (or snow) on your parade, because trust me, I also love the Christmas festivities and the joyous spirit—but it is not okay to start the festivities this soon.

It’s only November, people.

Every year, the first of November marks the annual debate about Christmas, and there seems to be two very distinct sides to the debate: the Obsessive Christmas Lovers and Christmas Realists (the Lovers may call us Grinches, though).

Although I do love Christmas and the spirit and joy that it brings (as do many of the other Realists), I have to draw the line and stand my ground.

Hanging Christmas decorations, blasting Christmas music, baking Christmas cookies, putting up and decorating Christmas trees, making Christmas lists, singing carols, making gingerbread houses, watching Christmas movies, reading Christmas stories, kissing under the mistletoe and any other Christmas activity you can think of is not allowed.

At least, not until after Thanksgiving.

I don’t mean to burst your bubble, Christmas Lovers, but let me tell you something—you are bursting my bubble and Thanksgiving’s bubble by constantly and incessantly rubbing in your Christmas spirit before Thanksgiving.

And I don’t mean to be so dramatic, but it’s true. As soon as Halloween is over, stores and Christmas-loving people everywhere are playing Christmas music and putting up Christmas decorations.

Everywhere I look—red and green wrapping paper, gold reindeer decor, silver ornaments, reindeer antlers, jingle bells, and Santa and elf hats.

All of these things are great to put you in the Christmas spirit, but I just don’t want to see it or hear it until after Thanksgiving—that’s all I ask from the Christmas Lovers.

Thanksgiving is kind of like the middle child, in between Halloween and Christmas. Everyone always forgets about it, until the day of. Everyone loves Halloween, and after Halloween, their attention goes straight to Christmas. Then, on the day of Thanksgiving, everyone’s attention shifts briefly to Thanksgiving for just a few hours, until they go back to the festivities of Christmas.

Sure, the favorite sibling (Christmas) has lots of gifts to offer everyone, but Thanksgiving is just as cool. And Thanksgiving also has lots to offer, like gratitude, even when no one gives it the recognition and appreciation it deserves.

The month of November typically has a known theme of ‘No Shave November’ (if you’re participating in this, then kudos to you—let your hair flourish!), but I would like to dedicate November this year, and every year, to be known as a new theme: No Christmas November.

Christmas is a wonderful holiday—but so is Thanksgiving. Christmas gets 25 days of celebration, and that seems to be enough for me. So please leave November alone, and stop with the Christmas decorating until at least after Thanksgiving.

Natalee Reynolds is a sophomore English and creative writing major. She can be reached at 581-28112 or [email protected].