Sororities face off during Tugs

Alpha Phi, Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta win first round Monday

Jordan Boyer

Members of Alpha Phi compete in “Tugs” Monday afternoon at the Campus Pond. They won the round against Alpha Gamma Delta.

Jordan Boyer, Photo Editor

Sororities came out and gave it their all in the first Tugs competition of the week at Campus Pond Monday afternoon.

There were three matches: Alpha Phi versus Alpha Gamma Delta, with Alpha Phi winning; Delta Delta Delta versus Delta Zeta with Delta Zeta winning and Tri Delta versus Kappa Delta with Kappa Delta winning.

Coaches for Kappa Delta Michael Roggenkamp, a senior sociology major and Michael O’Connor, a kinesiology and sports studies major, said they trained for two months “every single day” to prepare for Tugs.

After the win, they said it felt so worth it after all of their hard work.

Hannah Gillaspie, a history major and a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, said it was “pretty rough,” to lose, adding that Tugs has never really been the sororities highest point.

“So we’re pretty hyped about winning Airband, so I think it will be OK, it was rough though,” she said.

Audrey Villalpando, a junior marketing major, and a member of Tri-Delta who competed in Tugs, said she feels bad losing because they worked so hard to compete in this event. However, she said it was still a good battle in the end.

The winners of this event compete again Wednesday, and the fraternities compete Saturday. 

Jordan Boyer can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]