You can overcome your depression

Andrew Paisley, Columnist

Depression is an illness that hits people really hard sometimes.

Some people are more affected than others, and it can be very serious.

I have suffered from clinical depression since I was 13 years old.

At first, I had no idea what it was, but I went to my doctor, got diagnosed and got prescribed medicine.

Five years later, it hit me worse than it had ever done before. I had just graduated from high school, I came out of my shell, became more social and went on vacation with my family in Cabo.

This was supposed to be one of the highest points of my life, but I felt so down and so lost.

We were staying at a fancy, all-inclusive resort, and all I wanted to do was sit in my hotel room.

I got back from vacation and things got even worse.

At first, I kept it to myself for about two weeks before I decided to see my doctor again. My doctor told me my body was pretty much becoming immune to the anti-depressant I had been taking for the last five years. He wanted me to try another medicine, so I did.

From July 2013 to January 2014, I was in the worst position possible.

I would wake up every day and pray to God that that day would be the day that I got better.

I just wanted to lay around all day and do absolutely nothing except sleep. I could not understand why I had to be affected by this debilitation when I had done absolutely nothing to cause it and had nothing to be depressed about.

It was not until January 2014 when I finally broke down and contemplated doing the inevitable: I considered suicide.

I had no idea where to go or who to turn to. Everyone knew I was suffering, but they did not know what else could be done.

I was so sick of waking up every day, getting my hopes up and then feeling just as bad as I had the previous day.

I finally got into my local mental health clinic and started going to counseling.

By this time, I had started my second semester of community college, the first one not being so good because of my depression.

I had a wonderful counselor who met with me once every two weeks, and I found that it truly helped.

One day, I finally figured out the answer to my problems.

I realized that I was hit with this for a reason. God was testing me because he knew I could be stronger, but the only person who could really help me get better was me.

I started taking the necessary steps. I started exercising, journaling, hanging out with friends and family as much as I could and trying to get on the best sleep schedule possible.

It took a while, but eventually I found myself slowly getting better.

This time of year is the worst time for depression. We often feel down with the dark, gloomy weather we have during this season and it makes us more depressed than usual.

I strongly urge every one of you who are going through this to get help.

Do not sit inside all day. I know that is the first thing we want to do, but in the end it does not help at all.

Surround yourself with people who are willing to comfort you and listen to you.

Depression is a very serious illness, and we all need to take precaution as well as the necessary steps to beat it.

Andrew Paisley is a junior journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].