Homecoming is here with weeklong activities

Chrissy Miller, News Editor

A variety of activities are set for this year’s Homecoming Week.

Eliza Daugherty, the student steering committee marketing chair for University Board Homecoming, said the Health Education Resource Center will be setting up tables across campus as a part of its Panther Safe initiative.

“It’s just like ways of keeping your self safe whether that be you’re going to go out, how to drink safely or how to take care of yourself during midterms or taking care of yourself during stressful times, just revolving around stress and how to keep that all in check,” Daugherty said.

Panther Safe is designed to raise awareness, promote prevention and reduce risky behaviors among students during Homecoming Week. HERC staff will be available to provide demonstrations and resources.

Paint the Town BLUE, an annual celebration for local Charleston businesses, civic groups and agencies to showcase their support of Eastern, will go on throughout Homecoming Week. The contest is sponsored in conjunction with the City of Charleston’s tourism department.

“They can paint the windows of their stores, they can wear all kinds of blue stuff, they can show up to all the Homecoming events,” Daugherty said. “The community is welcome at all of these events, it’s not just for students, I believe.”

On campus, the Real Panthers Decorate BLUE spirit competition will be a way for the campus community to show school pride. Departments, offices, halls and cafeterias will have the opportunity to compete in multiple categories including: Door Decorating, Office/Department Decorating, Residence Hall Decorating and Cafeteria/ Food Court Decorating.

Daugherty said she is particularly excited about the Roar Ride Golf Cart Trivia Contest.

Homecoming committee members will be riding around in a golf cart on campus looking for members of the community wearing blue. Some lucky winners will receive “Blue Swag Bag” prizes.

“I don’t remember people having done that in the past,” Daugherty said. “It’s a cool way for us to get to interact as committee members with those who aren’t committee members and just help them keep Homecoming on the radar and let them know what’s going on.

For the Instagram Challenge, Daugherty said it is a simple, fun way to get people involved that has been done for the past couple of years.

“People just take a picture of something they are doing during Homecoming Week, whether it be going to the events on the quad or coronation or Yell like Hell, or even just out and about like if they’re doing something cool, they can take a picture and they can use the #Let the Good Times Roar.”

The most creative entries with the most likes throughout the week will win Homecoming Spirit T-shirts.

Billy the Panther will be going to local Charleston/Mattoon grade schools and middle schools during Homecoming Week for the Billy in the Schools activity. His appearances will feature coloring contests, prizes and giveaways.

Chrissy Miller can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]