Two basketball players transferring out fro Eastern

Maher Kawash, Staff Reporter

The Eastern men’s basketball team will be without two of its players heading into next season.

Junior Anthony Johnson and freshman Aleksa Novakovic are transferring from Eastern, and moving on to another school.

“They are both really good guys, and I’m hoping the best for them,” Eastern head coach Jay Spoonhour said. “They are going to try and go somewhere they can get more playing time.”

Johnson and Novakovic did not start any games for the Panthers this season, but they did provide some minutes off the bench.

“There is 13 guys on the roster, and you just can’t play all 13,” Spoonhour said.

Johnson saw more action than Novakovic this season, but never saw consistent minutes throughout the season.

Johnson appeared in 19 games this season, and played his most minutes against Saint Ambrose with 17.

This past season was his third with the Panthers, and those 19 appearances were a career low.

Johnson averaged 1.3 points in the 68 games he played at Eastern.

Johnson also held 43 percent shooting percentage, and was 32 percent from deep in his career.

Johnson’s best game of the season was when he provided 14 points off the bench against the Fighting Bees.

But because of strong performances this season from junior Demetrius McReynolds and freshman Casey Teson, Johnson did not get much playing time.

Other than his 14-point outburst against Saint Ambrose, Johnson was not able to score more than five points the rest of the season.

“I really enjoyed him on the team, and for his senior year he would like to go somewhere he has an impact,” Spoonhour said.

Spoonhour is unsure where Johnson will choose to transfer at this time but said he is receiving interest.

As for Novakovic, his career at Eastern came to a quick ending.

As a freshman, Novakovic did not see much time on the court as he played in just eight games this season.

With more of a veteran team on hand this year, Novakovic played just 26 minutes with 10 of those coming against Saint Ambrose.

He also pulled down a season high of four rebounds against the Fighting Bees.

Novakovic season high in scoring came against Western when he finished the game with four.

Novakovic was recruited by the Panthers after playing basketball at the highly-touted Findlay College Prep in Nevada.

The program he was with has produced seven NBA players since 2010.

With three years left of eligibility and plenty of potential, Spoonhour said Novakovic may return to his hometown to play basketball.

Novakovic is from Belgrade, Serbia, and may return there to continue his basketball career.

While Johnson and Novakovic search for a new home, Spoonhour will continue to build his program as he helps them as well.

“They both have options and we are trying to help them,” Spoonhour said. “We’re in the middle of the recruiting season, and that is just how these things go.”

The Panthers will now turn their focus to recruiting and set their sights on next season.

Now Eastern has nine players returning to the program from this past season.

Maher Kawash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]