Column: It’s a Political race, not a reality TV show

The political race this year had definitely be one for the ages and most of the candidates, in their own ways, have gone about trying to prove why they deserve to be the next president of the United States.

It seems like this year’s race had turned itself into one big, bad reality TV show, mostly in part to this year’s presidential “candidate” Donald Trump and the very surprising endorsement from Sarah Palin.

Yes, that is correct, Palin is back in the news after a few years of slowly falling out of relevance, the same Palin who, after unsuccessfully ran for vice president position almost eight years ago, came out to voice her support of Trump’s campaign.

The announcement was made about a week ago, and it is almost unbearable watching the press conference announcement.

Palin comes and even jokes around with Trump, and it was almost like I was watching some kind of new reality TV show.

When did the presidential election become nothing more than some kind of weird sideshow, where the possible next president of our country is more famous for their multiple controversies than actually trying to figure out ways to “Make America Great Again.”

Politics have never been a huge interest of mine, and that is mostly because I grew up in a family where politics were not really talked about, but this year has really been something else.

Recently, Trump announced he would be skipping the debates in Iowa, but I have to ask, do people actually care about what is at stake in this election or the fact now there are two “celebrities” now associated with the election.

Not to step on anyone’s toes, but the fact of the matter is that this election is a joke, and I doubt anyone is actually doing research into what is at stake when anyone of these candidates becomes our next president.

Some people need to stop thinking of this election as some twisted reality TV show and start treating it like an actual presidential election.

At the end of the day, for better or worst, one of these candidates will become the next leader of our country. So the question that remains is this, do we want some pompous, arrogant billionaire who has done nothing positive for this country, or do we want someone knows what they’re doing, how serious the job is, and will try to make this country great once again.

Luis Martinez is a senior journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].