When tugs come to shove

Cayla Maurer

Kenny Micks, a senior spanish major, tugs with Sigma Nu Wednesday at the campus pond. Sigma Nu defeated Sigma Alpha Epsilon with a time of 2:07. Sigma Nu will tug against Lambda Chi Friday.

Cayla Maurer, Verge Editor

Months of preparation, hard work and practice have led up to the muddy mess that is tugs.

Greek houses were allowed to officially practice with the rope on Feb. 8.

Each Greek house voted two captains to oversee the tug team and the captains choose tuggers. Each team is made of 10 people on the rope and two alternatives.

Tara Leslie, a junior Sigma Sigma Sigma tugger, said her first time tugging against Delta Delta Delta was one of the hardest things she’s ever done.

“There was no doubt in my mind that we weren’t going to win, but Tri Delta pulled us in a bit and we were in crazy mud,” Leslie said. “But we pulled our stuff together and ended up winning.”

Tri Sigma always wears tie-dye because they never wear their color, purple, while tugging. Tuggers also wear to braids and a pink bandanna in memory of a former sister’s mother was diagnosed with breast cancer right before a tugs match.

Kenny Micks, a senior Sigma Nu tugger, said Sigma Nu tuggers prepare year round as far as lifting.

During the spring semester member’s train as a team doing cardio and weight lifting daily.

“As soon as we’re allowed to touch the rope, we are inside or outside practicing five to six days a week, at least an hour a day,” Micks said.

Micks said tugs is so competitive because tuggers are representing their chapter and don’t want to their let house down.

Micks also said winning a tugs match is life nothing else in the world.

“I’ve played football my entire life, but winning a tug is a way better feeling,” Micks said. “The amount of strength, energy and effort that goes into the whole season and then just one tug is incredible.”

Lexi Malkusak, a freshman Kappa Delta tugger, said Kappa Delta has a traditional of wearing knee-high black socks, bandannas and shirts with their nicknames given by the captains on the back.

Kappa Delta also has a superstition of not washing their uniforms until their last tug is over because it would be bad luck.

As a first year tugger, Malkusak wants people to know that a lot of hard work and dedication go into tugging.

“It’s not just tugging a rope across a pond; it’s endurance, it’s muscle, it’s teamwork,” Malkusak. “Yes, we’re tugging for points, but more importantly we’re tugging for the other girls on the rope.”

Malkusak said defeating Sigma Kappa was surreal yet rewarding.

“We’ve been working months for this and we were so excited,” Malkusak said.

Kappa Delta will tug against Sigma Sigma Sigma Friday to claim a spot in the championship round Saturday.

Cayla Maurer can be reached 581-2812 or [email protected].