Worthington Inn under renovation

Charleston hotel The Worthington Inn is getting a restoration overhaul by Unique Homes Properties and will be reopened as Unique Suites Hotel on Oct. 1.

Reggie Phillips, owner of Unique Homes Properties, said all of the hotel’s 77 rooms are being completely cleaned and renovated in an elegant vibe.

Marc Schneider, manager of Unique Suites Hotel, said the hotel will offer basic hotel rooms as well as special family and Jacuzzi suites.

The hotel’s revamped look will be complete with a refurbished kitchen, restaurant and martini bar.

“We’re doing it right; we’re not just window painting,” he said.

The hotel will also offer a continental breakfast bar with biscuits and gravy, eggs, toast, fruit and cereal, as well as a remodeled banquet room that will hold 320 to 350 people for weddings and other special events.

Phillips said he hopes Unique Suites Hotel will provide convenient lodging for parents or other family members and friends visiting Eastern students who previously had to travel for a place to stay.

“People can now stay in Mattoon,” Phillips said. “They can stay right here in Charleston.”

Schneider said Reggie and he have been working off a specific vision they have for the property.

“We’re going to have an upscale feel presented at an affordable rate,” he said.

Phillips said he owns hotel properties in other cities, including a Holiday Inn Express, to which he has used as the inspiration behind the Unique Suites Hotel remodeling.

“We held or improved that standard,” he said.

Phillips said the hotel has been remodeling the rooms one by one, keeping 30 rooms open for customers.

However, Phillips said the hotel has not had much business during their renovation time, even earlier this month during move-in week, a result he thinks is due to people being unsure of what is going on with the hotel.

“It looks like a construction zone, and people aren’t sure if we’re open,” he said.

Schneider said he thinks when the renovations are finally complete, lodgers will be happy with the changes.

“We’re excited for the town,” he said. “We’re going to make this city proud.”

Sara Hall can be reached at 581-2812 or

Worthington Inn under renovation

Worthington Inn under renovation

Sara Hall