Charleston offers entertainment

After long days of classes, work and other obligations, financially strapped college students are often looking for the cheapest way to be entertained for the least amount of money.

While some Eastern students may think they cannot possibly find anything to do in such a small town as Charleston, they will be surprised to find many options for entertainment on the cheap do exist.

Open Mic Night at Jackson Avenue Coffee

Aspiring performers looking to showcase their talents or those just looking for an interesting show can attend Open Mic Night at 7 p.m. every Thursday at Jackson Avenue Coffee.

Dan Reible, owner of Jackson Avenue Coffee, said Open Mic Night first began in 2005 and has been growing in popularity ever since then.

“Some nights it’s standing room only,” he said.

Reible said musical performers perform songs, both covers and original works, from all genres, including old folk and blues, country and rock.

Although musicians are the primary performers, Reible said the coffee shop has seen all kinds of acts.

“It’s not always just music,” he said. “We’ve had comedians, poets and belly dancers.”

Reible said JAC welcomes performers of all ages.

“We’ve had 6 year olds perform,” he said. “We’re glad to have anyone. Everyone is welcome.”

While attendees do not have to pay a cover charge for the event, they can indulge in JAC’s menu of coffee drinks and teas, as well as their selection of sandwiches and baked goods.

Open Mic Night begins at 7 p.m. and lasts until the last performer is finished, usually around 9 or 10 p.m., said Reible.

Performers present their acts on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Open Mic Night is free, but if participants want food or drink they will have to pay extra.

For more information, visit www.jacksonavenuecoffee.com or call (217) 345-5283.

Trivia Night at Panther Paw

Those wanting to show off their vast knowledge of random facts, indulge in cheap food and drinks and possibly win $100 can head over to Trivia Night at 8 p.m. on Tuesdays at Panther Paw.

While the event is limited to those 21 and older, Jessica Finery, an employee at Panther Paw, said the event still brings in a big crowd because it provides participants with free entertainment, as well as food and drink specials, such as fifty-cent tacos and discounted Coors Light.

Finery said teams for Trivia Tuesdays usually consist of around seven people, although they are not limited to any particular number.

She said the event usually draws in a big crowd, with around 15 teams per week, and participants often become so involved that the game turns competitive.

“Everyone gets into it. People can’t use their phones during the game, and they’re not allowed to get up to go to the bathroom to check them either,” she said. “People get excited about it.”

The winning team is awarded a cash prize of $100.

To be part of Trivia Night is free, but if participants want food or drink they will have to pay extra.

For more information, visit www.pantherpawbar.com, or call (217) 345-7849.

Hookah sessions at Indio Cigar

Students that are not yet 21 and are still looking for a way to socialize and relax can check out the hookah sessions offered every day at Indio Cigar Factory on Charleston’s Square.

Marvin Mirick, owner of Indio Cigar Factory, said the shop offers 22 flavors of hookah, including Skittles, Charlie Sheen Tiger Blood, wild berry and Love Potion.

Mirick said not only does the store offer hookah but they also offer a calming atmosphere in which to enjoy it.

“We provide drinks, soda, water, free popcorn, music and TV,” he said.

“It’s a cheap way of entertainment and a nice place to socialize,” he said. “If you’re a freshman or a sophomore and you don’t have anything to do, this is a good place to come to.”

Mirick said for smaller parties, the store has a lounge area that can seat six people, or a main room to seat as many people as needed.

Mirick said he recommends calling for reservations on the weekends because the hookah sessions tend to fill up quickly.

Indio Cigar Factory is open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 2 p.m. to midnight on Saturdays.

The cost is $7 including tax per person, per hookah session.

Visit www.indiocigar.com, or call (217) 348-1514.

Other low-cost entertainment ideas

Bowling and playing pool at Charleston Lanes. For more information call (217) 345-6630.

Attending a matinee movie at AMC Theatres, or taking advantage of the student rates for evening shows. For more information visit www.amctheatres.com or call (888) 262-4386

Paintballing on either indoor or outdoor fields at Fly-N-Colors. For more information, visit www.flyncolorspaintball.com or call (217) 348-6666.

Spending a day exploring the trails and enjoying the scenery at Fox Ridge State Park.

For more information, call (217) 345-6416.

Sara Hall can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Charleston offers entertainment

Charleston offers entertainment

Barista Rachel Scopel prepares an espresso for a customer Monday at Jackson Avenue Coffee on the Charleston Square. Often referred to as “The JAC,” the cafe offers numerous opportunities for musicians and artists to share their work, including Open Mic Ni