Editorial Cartoon: Here comes the story of the Hurricane

As the new school year begins, so do the performances at the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

Dan Crews, the director of patron services at Doudna, said performances include an exciting line-up.

Crews said one of the most well-known groups performing this semester is The Blind Boys of Alabama, a gospel group composed mostly of blind musicians.

The band will perform alongside members of the bluegrass band Nickel Creek in November.

While not as well known in the United States, Crew said he is very honored to host the Yama Ensemble from Israel.

Crews said the Yama Ensemble is very popular in Israel and is touring in the United States while participating in the Arts Midwest Worlds Fest.

Crews said Arts Midwest only chooses one venue in Illinois for each cycle of Worlds Fest.

“They chose us and were impressed by our facilities,” Crews said. “I can’t emphasize enough how important that is. It’s an honor.”

Doudna will also feature a performance by the Depue Brothers Band in September.

“They’re a bluegrass band, but aren’t typical,” Crews said. “They are all phenomenal players with classical influences.”

Outside of musical performances, Crews said Doudna will host various prominent, people including historical and bestselling author Steve Berry.

Crews said Berry and his wife have started a foundation called History Matters which aims to preserve United States history. Berry will give a lecture in September.

Crews said Doudna will also host First Person: Seeing America which will, “appeal to all the senses.” The event combines photographs of World War I and the Great Depression with the narration of Neal Conan from National Public Radio and actress Lily Knight. Music from Ensemble Galilei will accompany the photos as well.

Doudna will also be changing its ticket office hours this year. The office will be open 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday through Thursday and 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Friday.

Crews said Mondays and Friday evenings were often slow and the office thought there was no need for the university to pay to keep it open during those times.

Crews said Doudna is still trying to keep ticket prices as economical as possible.

“The highest is $20,” Crews said. “That’s a steal compared to other venues.”

Crews also said the ticket office will now also be accepting money on students’ Panthercards similar to the Union.

“Students requested that and we made it happen,” Crews said.

Seth Schroeder can be reached at 581-2812 or

[email protected].

Editorial+Cartoon%3A+Here+comes+the+story+of+the+Hurricane+

Dave Balson/Opinions Editor