Air show to dazzle spectators

Coles County Memorial Airport is inviting spectators to watch dazzling planes fly across the sky at this year’s air show at 11:30 a.m. Saturday.

Andrew Fearn, airport manager for Coles County Memorial Airport, said the air show is for all ages, providing entertainment for both the young and old.

Children see airplanes on the History Channel and want to go to the airplane show, while older people are interested in military aircraft, he said.

“We get a full gamut,” he said.

Fearn said the Coles County Air Show is such a popular event that it draws people from all over the state.

“We expect a crowd around 10 to 12,000 people,” he said.

Gates for the show will open at 11 a.m., and the opening ceremonies will begin at about noon, Fearn said.

Fearn said about a dozen pilots will be participating in the show. The pilots must have their pilot’s license as well as a special permit to fly in the air show.

Fearn said the professional air show performers participating in the show include The Red Thunder Air Show Team, a Chance Vought F4U Corsair and the Navy Aerobatics Air Show Team.

The air show will conclude about 1:30 p.m., but rides will continue to run until 3 p.m.

Fearn said kid-friendly entertainment will also be available, such as helicopter rides, Warbird rides, a children’s area with bounce houses and toy airplanes, a mechanical bull and monster trucks. Food vendors will also be at the show.

Fearn advised attendees to bring a blanket or lawn chair because the area will not have any bleachers. Limited handicap parking will be available.

Admission is free, although Fearn said the airport will be accepting donations to compensate for the cost of the air show.

Sara Hall can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Air show to dazzle spectators

Air show to dazzle spectators

Spectators exit a United States Army Chinook helicopter during the Coles County Air Show Aug. 28, 2010, at the Coles County Memorial Airport. (File photo