Students learn campus activities, how to get involved

Dozens of registered student organizations will line the South Quad today, hoping to draw interest from passersby at Pantherpalooza.

The event is sponsored by Student Government and runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“Pantherpalooza is an opportunity to see what we have on campus,” said Cecilia Brinker, director of Student Life.

The organizations range from hunting, fraternities, sororities, sports and ice hockey, Brinker said.

Not all of the exhibitors are student organizations-Booth Library, New Student Programs and the Health Education Resource Center will participate.

The event is for both new and old students and helps them find something they are interested in, said Kaci Abolt, the student vice president for student affairs.

“We have 125 clubs already registered,” she said. “They range from academic to political, Greek, minority affairs and music.”

Pantherpalooza gives organizations the opportunity to tell students what they are about and how the new members can participate in the group, Abolt said.

“It’s a great way to get your name out there,” she said.

Registered Student Organizations get to reach hundreds of students that they would not normally be able to, Abolt said. Also, students get to meet and talk to more clubs then they usually would in one day, she said.

Students also get to talk to university departments who participate in Pantherpalooza, said Abolt.

“(Pantherpalooza) is a tradition. I am hoping to keep it going and build on the event,” Abolt said. “I want to make it bigger and better each year. “

Abolt expects a large exhibit turnout.

“Ever since I’ve been here, this is the most tables we’ve ever had there,” Abolt said.

Samantha McDaniel can be reached at 581-2812

or [email protected].

Students learn campus activities, how to get involved

Bethany Davidson, a sophomore elementary education major, speaks to Dani OBrill, a sophomore business management major, and Kaitlin Martin, a senior special education major, about the group Campus Crusade for Christ Jan. 26 in the Martin Luther King Jr. U