Honors faculty, students bond at ice cream social

About 105 students, faculty and staff got to know each other at the Honors College ice cream social Monday night.

The ice cream social provided an opportunity for new Eastern students to meet existing honor students, as well as the honor faculty, said Margaret Messer, director of Honors Student Affairs.

“For over 20 years the honors students have been welcomed to EIU following their first day of class with an ice cream social,” Messer said. “It was started by Dr. Herbert Lasky, the retired dean of the Honors College, soon after the Honors College began in 1982.”

The students got the chance to learn things about the honors professors that they would not normally know, Messer said.

The professors are asked questions such as what their favorite movies, music and books are.

In past years professors were also asked questions such as whether they have ever received an F in a course.

“I really liked it, it made you feel comfortable, especially as a freshman,” said Allison Carbaugh, a junior communication disorders and sciences major. “The professors aren’t as intimidating afterwards.”

Ann Bushur, a freshman undecided major, said she was really happy with the ice cream social.

“At my high school, we put studying first and the Honors College is helping me keep on track with that,” Bushur said. “For the future when I’m done graduating, I’ll have all the high grades and tools for the future.”

Many faculty members attended, including President Perry; Blair Lord, vice president of academic affairs; Dan Nadler, vice president of student affairs; and Director of Admissions Brenda Major.

“I always like meeting students because they are so full of energy,” President Perry said. “I get to find out where they are from and what they are about.”

Joy Russell, the chairwoman of early childhood, elementary and middle Level education, said she likes meeting the students because it gives her an opportunity to learn from the students.

Carrie Dale, assistant professor of early childhood, elementary and middle level education and a member of the Honors council, said, “I think it’s wonderful that [the honor students] are already looking at their college careers with success.”

Samantha McDaniel can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Honors faculty, students bond at ice cream social

Clare Smith, a junior history major, and Emily Van Ostran, a junior geography major, scoop ice cream during the Honors College ice cream social Monday evening in Taylor dining hall. The event provided a casual atmosphere for new honors students and facult