Noodle-eating contest rescheduled

No students or participants showed up to the Asian American Association’s third Annual Ramen Noodle eating contest, because of a miscommunication

Through the month of April, the association has been hosting different events in order to raise awareness for Asian American Heritage Month, and to help raise money for the Japan Red Cross. The association has organized Origami fundraisers and members of the association gave Henna tattoos.

The contest was originally set to be in Andrews Hall basement at 5 p.m. But because of a scheduling miscommunication, two different organizations showed up to use the space.

The Gender Boot Camp, an event held by the communication department’s gender and body class, reserved the space for the same day, and time as the association. Following the boot camp, the Black Student Union reserved the space for an event.

The association was forced to relocate, and reschedule its event for 8 p.m. in Lawson Hall’s basement.

Upon arriving to Lawson Hall, the association ran into another spacing conflict. Rhythm & X-tacy, a student dance group, was using the space for its dance rehearsal. The two groups, agreed to share the space.

Brittany Dixon, a junior interdisciplinary major, was one of the first members to arrive. This is her first year being a part of the Asian American Association.

Members gathered together awaiting participants. After no one showed, Dixon came up with the idea of going to different residence halls to publicize.

“If no one shows, we’ll probably reschedule until next semester,” Dixon said.

The association wanted at least four participants before beginning the contest. After an hour, and no one came to compete, the organization agreed to put off the contest until this upcoming fall semester.

Lena Elmuti, a sophomore chemistry and biology major, and the association’s treasurer, blames the miscommunication and delayed start time.

“People don’t want to eat a lot at 8 p.m. They may have been more inclined to have a big dinner at 5 (p.m.), for cheap,” Elmuti said.

Beyond this bump in the road, Asian American Heritage Month will continue. Anyone interested in the events can contact the Asian American Association.

Darius Davis-Brownlee can be reached at 581-2812

or [email protected].

Noodle-eating contest rescheduled

Noodle-eating contest rescheduled

The Ramen Noodles eating competition that was scheduled for Monday night in the Lawson Hall basement has been postponed to the fall semester because of lack of participation.(Jordan Boner