Editorial Cartoon: Student government prepares for the future

One of these things is not like the other: Terrorism. Global Warming. Nuclear Proliferation. A Prairie Home Companion. Global Economic Collapse.

For most people, it is obvious that the National Public Radio program is the odd man out on this list of threats to America’s future.But the good men and women who make up the House of Representatives are not like most people. They passed a bill March 17 that would eliminate all federal funding for public broadcasting outlets. This is a terrible idea, and an absolute waste of the House’s time. Public radio is a wonderful resource that deserves support. NPR’s comprehensive, in-depth, objective coverage is the pinnacle of American journalism.

Cutting federal funding would not be the end of NPR, though it would severely impede coverage. Most threatened by the legislation are small, local public broadcasting stations. Many stations would simply have to shut down, and those that survived could not afford programming from NPR or other national outlets. Public TV stations are similarly vulnerable. Public broadcasting is important, especially to small, rural communities like Charleston. All over the country, millions of people would lose an important source for local news, educational programming, even Sesame Street.

This legislation is so emblematic of the pathetic, any-other-boss-would-fire-you, pointless ways congress is wasting crucial time avoiding doing any real work. Whether one is a Democrat or Republican, there are some things most people can agree on: The government needs to take serious steps to ensure the country’s current and future financial stability. The nation is deep in debt, therefore the government must do its best to cut wasteful spending.

Public broadcasting is not a wasteful use of federal dollars, but that’s almost besides the point. If congress was serious about balancing the budget, it would cut defense spending or close tax loopholes. If congressmen were doing their job, they would be start tackling non-discretionary spending, instead of blaming the other side for not doing it first.

The economy is weak, and the recovery uncertain. The U.S. military is involved in two wars (and one Libya). People are broke. States are broke. Schools are broke and underperforming. We rely far too heavily on foreign oil (and oil in general). Jobs are being shipped overseas (along with our debt). The very people who brought down the economy are right back to enjoying the big tax breaks on their big bonuses.

And the big solution from Congress? The great plan to fulfill campaign promises to get our budgetary house back in order? Cut the itty-bitty sliver of the massive pie that provides news, information and Elmo to millions of Americans. We urge anyone who loves NPR, watches Nova, or grew up with Big Bird to call their congressmen and tell them, “You want to cut wasteful spending? Quit wasting my tax dollars on this bologna and get to work.”

For more information, go to www.170millionamericans.org

Editorial+Cartoon%3A+Student+government+prepares+for+the+future+

Dave Balson/The Daily Eastern News