Graduate school candidates give presentations on studies

Graduate students presented their work at the 2011 Graduate Showcase of the College Sciences.

The showcase consisted of potential graduate school candidates in the School of Sciences Wednesday afternoon.

The beginning of the showcase consisted of a video that showed the students and their professors presenting their research on the specific theories that they were studying.

After the video, there was a question and answer period where the audience asked the students questions on their studies and what their potential goals were going to be.

Two of the presentations had to do with cyber bullying and communication disorders in children.

Meredith McDermott, a graduate candidate for psychology, discussed cyber bullying and its effects on children.

McDermott found in her data that young children do not feel comfortable reporting cyber bullying. Students feel that what is online should stay online, McDermott said.

McDermott based her study on how cyber bullying leads to depression and why this was happening.

During the question and answer portion after the presentations, McDermott explained the difference between cyber bullying, which she covered in her study, and traditional bullying.

“Traditional bullying is done at school and then the student gets to go home, but cyber bullying doesn’t just stop at school, it occurs after school when the student goes on his or her computer,” she said.

McDermott said she feels that there needs to be strict policies in schools so that cyber bullying can be put to rest.

Lynne Barcus, a graduate candidate in communication disorders and sciences, focused on children with autism.

Barcus used fast mapping, which is a cognitive psychological concept that studies children’s comprehension levels.

The audience mostly consisted of professors in the sciences departments.

Other presenters included Md Khan a biological sciences major, Keerthi Chandra, a chemistry major, Adam Stokes, a economics major, Peter Foster, a political science major and Laura Brauer, a natural sciences major.

Brian Krull can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Graduate school candidates give presentations on studies

Peter Foster, a graduate candidate in the department of political science, laughs while answering a question Wednesday about his research on media framing during the Graduate Showcase Series for the college of sciences in the Doudna lecture hall.(Kimberly