Open Mic promises talent

Whether it is singing hip-hop rhymes, reading poetry, or even a first attempt at a comedic performance, a unique event will provide students these very opportunities to express their creativity.

The Open Mic Night, which will take place Wednesday at the 7th Street Underground in the Martin Luther King Jr. Union will allow students to take the stage and take to the microphone.

The event gives an ordinary student the chance to try their luck in a freestyle rap battle or even give them the stage to try and squeeze some laughs out of the audience with their own comedic routine.

The event is hosted by the University Board, which provides a multitude of events for students throughout the year, such as concerts and other performances.

“The event is an awesome way to meet other musicians interested in hip-hop, and I’ll be there and hopefully on stage” said Jared “Hermm C” Herrmann, a senior.

Herrmann is a hip-hop enthusiast and rapper.

“I have gone before and heard some amazing performances and can’t wait to hear some new ones on Wednesday night,” Herrmann said.

Some of the more creative performances include the reading of poetry that students, including creative writing students, create and perform.

The poetry provides a break from the speed and intensity of the musical performances.

Alongside the poetry reading, the comedy performances provide students with a hilarious opportunity to hear some true artists at work.

Eastern has a devout crew of comedians who can be reached at their Facebook group “EIU Comedy.”

The UB hopes a large number of performers and crowd members attend Wednesday, and it will certainly be worth it to see some very talented Eastern students in the realms of music, poetry and comedy.

Seamus Riley can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Open Mic promises talent

Open Mic promises talent

Merritt Whitley, a freshman journalism major, performs her original song “Day Dream” at the Dec. 8, 2010 open mic night in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union’s 7th Street Underground. Whitley took 2nd place for her performance. (Danny Damiani