Student chosen to perform in honor of late professor

Derek Maninfior, 20, began playing piano when he was 4 years old and now as a junior piano performance major, he has been chosen to perform a selection the late W. David Hobbs was supposed to perform before he became seriously ill.

Maninfior will perform “Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini” by Sergei Rachmaninoff in memory of Hobbs as part of OVATIONS, a musical montage by the Eastern Symphony Orchestra that will take place Sunday from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Dvorak Concert Hall Doudna Fine Arts Center’s.

Hobbs, a former Eastern music professor, was an accomplished pianist, an active soloist and chamber musician throughout the U.S. He served Eastern from 1991 until his death in 2007. Maninfior studied with Hobbs in the summer of 2003 and in that short time, he said, he noticed Hobbs was a man of great wisdom. He said he felt Hobbs had an impressive musical personality and was an excellent performer.

“I only wish I had more time to study with him,” Maninfior said. “It was a privilege to be able to work with him.”

The musical piece was one of Hobbs’ favorite selections and Richard Rossi, the director the symphony, said that usually a professional would play the medley, but he chose Maninfior to perform on Sunday, because he possesses a notable talent in piano.

“When I see a student as talented as (Maninfior), I try to give them an opportunity that will help them in their career,” Rossi said.

Having been surrounded by music all of his life, Maninfior said it means a lot to him to be a part of the musical component of Eastern.

“It is an honor to play with the Eastern Symphony Orchestra,” Maninfior said. “I feel lucky to be able to perform with other great musicians.”

The event will also feature the works of Eastern music faculty including- Rebecca Johnson, flute instructor; Magie Smith, clarinet instructor; and Anna Cromwell, assistant professor of violin.

The event will be an excellent opportunity for students and others to observe a variety of colorful performances, Johnson said.

Johnson, who will perform “Serenade, Op. 35,” a flute ensemble accompanied with the orchestra, said she is looking forward to sharing the stage with other talented performers.

“It’s an honor to get to play with my colleagues and students, it’s always fun,” Johnson said.

Maninfior will be the final performance of the night.

Susan Teicher, Maninfior’s piano instructor, said he has shown great progress since he first came to Eastern and he deserves the chance to showcase his talent.

“Playing this piece is a wonderful opportunity for (Maninfior),” Teicher said.

Maninfior said he feels honored to be given the opportunity to play a piece that was special to Hobbs.

“He was an excellent teacher, an excellent person and an excellent pianist,” Maninfior said.

Crystal Alston can be reached at 581-7943 or [email protected]

Student chosen to perform in honor of late professor

Derek Maninfior, a junior piano performance major, prepares to perform Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini by Sergei Rachmaninoff in memory of W. David Hobbs on Sunday as part of the musical montage by the OVATIONS Eastern Symphony Orchestra. (Crystal Alston