Band banner stolen for third time

For the third time, the Panther Marching Band has had its banner stolen.

The official marching band banner flag was stolen between 10 p.m. Friday, Sept. 24 and 7 a.m. the next morning.

Barry Houser, Director of Bands, noticed the flag was missing Saturday morning at 7 a.m. when he was setting up for the band to do its rehearsal. The Panther Marching Band always rehearses on the field by the Tarble Arts Center, also known as the tundra, before home games.

The band arrived back at Eastern’s campus at 10 p.m. that Friday from a performance at Effingham High School and did not notice anything suspicious, but when they arrived for rehearsal the next morning, the banner was missing.

This is the third time the flag has been stolen from the top of the scaffold where it is bolted down and framed in by two by fours. The criminals used some sort of device to cut out the flag from the frame as the only thing that remains in the wooden framing.

The banner is 10 feet by eight feet and seems to have been cut out of the wood frame. The banner was not recovered from the previous times it was stolen. Houser said if it’s not returned, they will not be purchasing a new one because the banner costs $400.

“I hope that the awareness that the theft brings will keep it from happening to other organizations,” Houser said.

The band members are all aware that the banner was stolen yet again and are disappointed.

Sophomore Erick Shockley, pre-finance major and the section leader, said, “It’s irritating to worry it will be taken again.”

Band member Becky Dunning, elementary major and piccolo section leader, recalls her first response when she heard about it.

“Oh, really, again. It’s just silly it keeps happening,” she said.

Both of the students felt the worst part is they have to see the empty frame every time they practice on the field.

The Eastern and Charleston police are investigating the incident but have no comment on the case as of now.

Jessica Isom can be reached

at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Band banner stolen for third time

Band banner stolen for third time

The Panther Marching Band’s flag was stolen sometime between 10 p.m. Friday Sept. 24 and 7 a.m. the next morning. (Kacie Berry