Teamwork key factor

The Panther volleyball team has had its fair share of top-notch individual performers.

Senior outside hitter Kelsey Orr led the Panther attack with 23 kills against Western Illinois, leaving her only two kills short of tying her career high.

Orr also picked up 16 digs to earn her 21st career double-double.

Senior setter Kylie Cavanah led Eastern on the defensive side of the scorecard, with 20 digs while picking up 17 assists Monday night in Macomb.

Junior setter Chrissie Albers added 36 assists to aid the Panther hitters.

Senior outside hitter Erin Hake had a double-double against Western, with 11 kills to go along with 11 digs.

Transportation issues

Following their win over the Leathernecks, the Panthers ran into trouble as their bus broke down, leaving them stranded in Macomb.

This forced the team to wait for another bus. The team was unable to return until early Tuesday morning.

As a result, head coach Kate Price gave the team Tuesday afternoon off from practice.

Picking up a win over Eastern’s cross-state rival made the team’s trip home feel a bit better.

Eastern in the standings

The Panthers are now third in the Ohio Valley Conference. The Panthers trail only Austin Peay and Morehead State.

Many of the Panthers’ conference opponents started conference play last weekend, but the Panthers open their own conference schedule this Friday at home against Morehead State at 7:05 p.m. in Lantz Arena.

The rest of the OVC teams besides the ones at the top are below the .500 mark overall, and the Panthers are one of two OVC teams who haven’t yet opened conference play.

Around the OVC

Eastern Kentucky defeated conference foe Tennessee Tech, while falling to OVC opponent Jacksonville State in four sets.

Morehead State downed a pair of conference foes in Jacksonville State and Tennessee Tech.

Tennessee State was victorious over Tennessee-Martin, while falling to Murray State.

Murray State fell to conference foe Austin Peay while defeating Tennessee State.

Southeast Missourri State was inactive over the weekend.

[email protected]

Teamwork key factor

Teamwork key factor

Reynae Hutchinson, freshman outside hitter, passes the ball during practice on Sept. 8 in Lantz Arena. (Jordan Boner/The Daily Eastern News)