Last line of defense

The Panthers’ strong defensive core has kept them within reaching distance of the Ohio Valley Conference leading Austin Peay, this season.

The Panthers have a record of 3-4-1; but that record could be much worse if it were not for the defensive play the Panthers have shown in 2010.

Eastern head coach Summer Perala’s defensive squad includes senior goalkeeper Kaylin Lobert, junior defenders Erika Prazma, Sam Balek and Hillary Blake, senior defender Danielle Flynn and freshman defender Lauren Hoppensteadt.

They have limited their opponents’ offensive attack all season long.

The Panthers have allowed goals in just four of their eight games this season, and have allowed multiple goals in just one game.

“We have a good sense of chemistry and we all communicate well with each other,” Lorbert said.

The strong defensive core has battled through over 800 minutes of play this season, and have only let five balls find the back of the net.

“If we keep playing like we are, we will get where we want to be,” Blake said.

The Panther opponents average a mere 0.6 goals per game this season against the stingy Panther defense.

“We have done a good job of keeping everyone organized and getting everyone involved in the game,” Prazma said.

The Panthers defensive play has not gone unnoticed, as Balek was awarded with the Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Week for games played in the first weekend of the season.

“It is a great honor and I am very happy to represent EIU in the Ohio Valley Conference,” Balek said.

Lorbert is making her senior year in between the crossbars her finest year yet. Lorbert is turning in a career year for the Panthers so far.

Lorbert has been defending the goal for the majority of the season as well as she can for her Panther squad.

“Kaylin sees the field very well and does a good job communicating with us on the back line,” Flynn said.

Lorbert was the recipient of the Ohio Valley Conference Goalkeeper of the Week award for games played Aug. 27-29.

“Kaylin brings knowledge to the game and acts as the brain of the team,” Prazma said.

Lorbert has saved 29 shots and completed four shutouts in eight games this season.

A total of four balls have found the back of the net, while Kaylin Lorbert has been defending the pipes.

The Panther defense will be back on display this weekend, as they will battle to keep the Miami (Ohio) Redhawks and the Western Illinois Leathernecks off the scoreboard.

Jordan Pottorff can be reached at 581-7944 or

Last line of defense

Last line of defense

Senior Danielle Flynn and juniors Erika Prazma, Hillary Blake and Sam Balek are the top defenders on the women’s soccer team and have been part of the reason why the team has only given up five goals this season. (Danny Damiani