Twenty-seven and counting

The Eastern women’s rugby team kicked off the season with a dominating 59-0 shutout over Ball State.

The win was the 27th straight by the Panthers and showed they can still dominate on the defensive side of the ball after losing their top tacklers, in Chase Cain and Stephanie Militello.

On the offensive side Eastern was led by sophomore center Lauren Doyle and freshman wing Cara Hahne, who both had three trys.

The Panthers have defeated the Cardinals for the third straight season, with a combined score of 261-3.

Other key scorers for EIU were sophomore center Kayla Heal, with two trys and senior flyhalf Coartney McKinney, who finished 7-9 for two-point conversions.

The Panthers hit the road to play Purdue Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. Then they come home next Sunday for a game against Notre Dame, that will be the first home game of the season.

Bob Shaughnessy can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Twenty-seven and counting

Twenty-seven and counting

Junior scrum-half Narissa Ramirez prepares to make a pass during practice Aug. 31. The Panthers defeated Ball State Wednesday 59-0. (Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)