Panthers hit losing streak

The Eastern women’s soccer team is currently battling through their first losing streak of the season.

“This week is just going to be working on quicker play, better technical abilities and all around hard-nosed play,” Eastern head coach Summer Perala said.

After starting the season off with their first 2-0 start since 2001, the Panthers offense has hit a skid and have been shutout in each of their last two games, and currently sit at 2-2.

“There’s no one stepping up and lighting that fire to get people back to playing hard,” Perala said.

The Panthers are looking for a couple of players to step up and provide the offensive attack.

Perala said she is looking for sophomore forward Ashley Streid, junior midfielder/forward Ashley Eck and senior midfielder/forward Kaitlin Sullivan to provide the much-needed offensive spark.

Team survives injury scare

The Panthers survived a potential season threatening injury scare when senior goalkeeper Kaylin Lorbert had to exit the game in the 84th minute against Eastern Michigan University Sunday.

However, Lorbert will be back defending the goal this weekend.

“She just has a nice black eye,” Perala said. “She will be good for the weekend.”

Lorbert and the Panther defense have played well early in this season, allowing just two goals in four games.

The defensive core of Lorbert and defenders Hillary Blake, Sam Balek and Erika Prazma have suffocated the offensive attacks of their opponents this season and will look to continue their strong play this weekend against Green Bay and Indiana State.

Offense getting goal chances

The Panthers offense has out-shot its opponents in three out of four games this season, but have only hit the back of the net three times.

The Panthers have 46 shots this season compared to only 31 by their opponents. Also, the Panthers have put 20-of-46 shots on goal, while the opponents have put 17-of-31 shots on goal.

Although the Panthers have the edge in nearly every statistical category this season, they are struggling to capitalize on the scoring opportunities.

Perala said she has stressed the importance of finishing scoring chances and is looking for someone to step up and take that role.

Around the OVC

Eastern is one of only five teams in the Ohio Valley Conference to register two victories in the first two weekends of regular season play.

The Panthers currently sit at 2-2, which puts them two games behind OVC-leader Austin Peay.

Austin Peay is 4-0 so far this season and leads every team in the conference by at least two games.

Six teams currently have losing records after two weeks of play. The Jacksonville State Gamecocks and the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles are the only teams in the OVC without a win.

Austin Peay, Southeast Missouri State and Eastern are the four teams in the OVC with a .500 record or better.

The Panthers will look for win No. 3 when they hit the road to play Wisconsin-Green Bay at 7 p.m. Friday in Green Bay, Wisc.

Jordan Pottorff can be reached at

581-7944 or [email protected]

Panthers hit losing streak

Panthers hit losing streak

Junior defender Hillary Blake sets up to kick a ball during the game against Eastern Michigan on Aug. 29 at Lakeside Field.Audrey Sawyer