Mattoon Celebrates 25th Bagelfest

This year Mattoon will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Bagelfest.

Bagelfest first started in 1986, which was also when Lender’s Bagel opened the world’s largest bagel factory in Mattoon.

Most events will be held at Peterson Park, located off Broadway Avenue in Mattoon.

The event kicked off Wednesday, with the Beautiful Bagel Baby contest and the opening of the carnival.

On Thursday, the carnival and food and art vendors will be open from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.

The Miss Bagelfest Contest will also take place at 7 p.m.

There are three different age categories for the contest; Little Miss, which includes 5-8-year-olds, Pre-Teen, which includes 9-12-year-olds, and Teen, which includes 13-17-year-olds.

Each age group has to compete in different categories, including eveningwear.

Jackee Metzger, director of the Miss Bagelfest Contest, said each girl who places will receive a trophy, a crown, a sash, flowers and a gift bag, which include things donated from businesses in Mattoon.

Metzger said this is the first time in approximately 12 years that the teen category has 17 participants.

“Next year we hope to see more people in it,” she said.

At 8 p.m., Remedy Drive will also be playing on the main stage.

Special events coordinator at the Mattoon Department of Tourism said every year there is an entertainment group that chooses the artists who plays.

The Band Perry will be playing on Friday, while Craig Morgan will be playing on Saturday. Both bands will be on the main stage at 8 p.m.

As a tradition, a free bagel breakfast will be on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.

At 2 p.m. on Saturday, Bagelfest will host a Bagel Bow Wow contest, which is a contest for dogs to compete in four different categories.

Bernie De Buhr, coordinator of the Bagel Bow Wow contest, said the four different categories include the best bagel dog, owner and pet look alike, best dog trick and the best good ole’ dog.

“It’s just a fun thing and maybe lasts about an hour,” he said.

Each dog gets a goody bag provided by Mars Petcare. They also donate a prize for the winner of each category.

Registration is from 1:15-1:30 p.m. and all dogs must have proof of vaccination.

For more information on Bagelfest, visit http://www.mattoonbagelfest.com.

Kristin Jording can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Mattoon Celebrates 25th Bagelfest

Mattoon Celebrates 25th Bagelfest

A baby named Diona is held by her mother on stage at the Cross County Mall for the Beautiful Bagel Baby Contest. (Sam Sottosanto/The Daily Eastern News)