Last hurrah of local music scene

As the year comes to an end, the celebration begins. What better way to celebrate than a music festival?

In cooperation with Celebration weekend and the University Board, Eastern will kick off its celebration weekend with a day-long music festival called “Pantherstock.”

Pantherstock is the official kickoff to Celebration Weekend at Eastern.

The event will also offer free T-shirts, bingo, and different vendors from the surrounding cities and counties taking participation in the event.

The event will start promptly at 11:30 a.m. and last until 7 p.m. in the quad outside Booth Library.

Lauren Phillips is the Univesity Board mainstage coordinator and a senior corporate communications major. She said she is psyched about the selection of bands that are appearing at Pantherstock.

“This will be the first time Pantherstock has been performed on two stages,” Phillips said.

The main stage will feature Staff Blues Band, Andy Van Slyke, Mugwamp Specific, Mitch Davis and Little Boy Junior. The small stage will feature I2K, SamSara, Charles Scott, and Dave Pelletier.

Phillips said in order to receive a free T-shirt, students must donate at least two shirts in good condition to give to the needy.

Mitch Davis is one of the performing musicians at Pantherstock.

“Though it is my first time performing at Pantherstock, I really am not nervous about it,” Davis said. “I actually welcome this performance because it gives me the opportunity to perform alongside other great local musicians.”

Dan Lazzarotto, lead guitarist for Little Boy Junior, said that despite not playing at Pantherstock last year, he is ready to go.

“We were scheduled to play at the festival last year, but we were rained out,” Lazzarotto said. “We were invited to play after winning the EIU Battle of the Bands competition, and in the last couple of years, we played with MugWump Specific, Staff Blues Band and American English.”

Lazzarotto said he expects a large turnout, especially after last year’s festival rained out and left followers of Little Boy Junior disappointed.

Che Frederick, drummer for MugWump Specific, said he is excited to play a different venue besides the bar scene his band is used to.

“Our band is excited to play a venue like Pantherstock,” Frederick said. “It is an organized event that brings out a lot of different ears to listen to our product.”

Frederick said his music is defined as being a mix of punk rock, blues and southern dirty rock.

Frederick said that his 15-year experience as a drummer has prepared him for Pantherstock.His experience includes bands like Leisure Suit Larry and Lunch Lady Specials, as well as some independent folk rock.

“We started the band basically on a whim,”

Frederick said. “When we started it, there wasn’t much of a band scene in Charleston, but we started with bands like Andy Van Slyke, Little Boy Junior, and Friday Night Villain, and it just took off from there.”

Frederick said he encourages students and residents alike to come out to Pantherstock to enjoy a day of music and celebration.

Jose Gonzalez can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Last hurrah of local music scene

Last hurrah of local music scene

Robert Zordani, English professor, and lead guitarist and vocalist, Joe Garrison jam out to some blues. (photo courtesy of Mugwump specific’s mysapce page)