Column: Writing by hand, just my type

Column: Writing by hand, just my type

We would like to congratulate, Aaron Wiessing for being elected to the position of student executive vice president.

Unfortunately, Mr. Wiessing, you now have one of the most unenviable positions on student government.

You see, Wiessing reminds us of the plight of another Aaron a few years ago: Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers, quarterback for the Green Bay Packers, was forced to ride the bench behind Brett Favre for three years, simply waiting and watching until the day he would get his shot. But how can one follow a living legend? Nobody wants to be the band that

goes on after the headlining act.

Now, Wiessing finds himself in a similar position.

When Eric Wilber, current executive vice president and head of the Student Action Team, graduates he will leave behind a gaping leadership void that will need to be filled, and quickly.

As part of Wiessing’s job, he will take up the role of heading up the Student Action Team and, thus, the expectations to perform as well as Wilber will rest soundly upon his shoulders.

We would like to suggest to Wiessing to take today as the best learning experience. Today the Student Action Team will head to Springfield in an effort to raise awareness of and lobby for restoration of the Monetary Award Program grant.

While legislators have already committed to restoring the MAP grant, they are yet to actually find the money to do so or even unveil a plan as to how the funds would be gathered.

By the Student Action Team visiting the capital, it will force legislators to look dead in the eye of the very students whom the MAP grant helps. It is easy to say no to a faceless voice on the other end of the phone. It is difficult to say no to a group of students who are meeting you face-to-face, requesting the money they have been promised

While many may say the Student Action Team’s efforts are pointless, that they are little more than a collective group of Oliver Twists begging “Please, sir, I’d like some more!” while they look up at a ruthless legislator who is stirring up a hot pot of higher education.

The truth is that the Student Action Team, headed by Wilber, has taken far greater efforts and done more just by going to Springfield and speaking in person with legislators than any other group of students on Eastern’s campus can claim.

Wiessing should also take note of Wilber and how he conducts business.

We have a long relationship with student government. Sometimes we may appear to be too hard on its members, chastising them for not accomplishing enough. Sometimes we are their biggest fans.

Though, as they are elected officials and we are the journalistic entity on campus we are charged with holding elected officials accountable, like any other newspaper.

Student Action Team is one of the sections of student government we greatly support and we wish them only the best and ask their

best efforts in Springfield today.

When the time comes, Wilber – who has put incredibly commendable effort in over the past few years – will step down.

So, pay attention, Mr. Wiessing. Just as no one could have asked Rodgers to be the next Favre, so are we going to forego asking Wiessing to be the next Wilber.

We ask that, as the head of one of the more influential student groups we have, Wiessing does anything and everything possible to continue the Student Action Team’s success.

After all, in such endeavors there are no winners. But, if Wiessing fails to give the students of Eastern his all in this role,

then we are all losers.

Column: Writing by hand, just my type

So, my printer broke recently.