Greek Sing takes note from ‘Glee’

This year is the 59th annual Greek Sing, the largest amateur choral competition in the Midwest.

Each sorority and fraternity participates by singing songs which fall under their chosen themes for three to five minutes.

Abby Thompson, Greek Sing co-chair and member of Alpha

Sigma Tau, said themes are picked by the houses and they can pick up to six songs to sing.

“There is no criteria as to what the theme has to be, they just cannot sing songs that have been done by another house within the last two years,” Thompson said.

Some themes for this year’s Greek Sing include Elton John, “The Hangover,” “Mamma Mia,” money, songs from the 1980s and TV show theme songs.

Evan Danner, Greek Sing co-chair and member of Beta Theta Pi, said the overall theme for Greek Sing this year is GLEE, based on the popular show.

“Houses are able to be as creative as they want with their own themes, as long as they are appropriate,” Danner said.

Chapters can practice as much as they want, as long as it stays between the hours of 8 a.m. and midnight, Danner said. Groups have been practicing since January 31.

Cara Stanek, a freshman communication disorders major and member of Alpha Sigma Alpha, said they have been working very hard and hope to win.

Some chapters have costumes to go along with their themes, which must not cost more than $20, according to the Greek Sing rules.

Groups are judged on diction, musicianship, dynamics, rhythm, tone, balance, blend, level of difficulty and overall presentation including appearance, visual presentation and creativity.

Thompson said each house earns a designated amount of participation points for each event and receives additional points for placing in an event.

“The idea is to accumulate the most points by winning the most events and by placing in events that are worth the most,” Thompson said.

Points are also earned by attending various required meetings and getting paperwork turned in on time, Thompson said.

The Greek Week Web site is updated with point standings after each event.

Each chapter must also have two or more representatives in the Unity Choir, which sings the Alma Mater and Star Spangled Banner.

The group has had weekly rehearsals since the beginning of March.

Greek Sing is at 1 p.m. Sunday in Lantz Arena.

Ashley Holstrom can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Greek Sing takes note from ‘Glee’

Greek Sing takes note from Glee

Members of the Sigma Kappa sorority, directed by Sarah Freund, perform songs from “Moulin Rouge” during last year’s Greek Sing event in Lantz Arena. (File Photo / The Daily Eastern News)