Column:Greek Week showcases positives

It’s about that time that we can show the community the unity, pride and friendly competition the Greeks have at Eastern.

Whether it’s tugs, airband, community service or Greek sing, this is the time when chapters celebrate the unity and pride we have in our academics, chapter development and talent.

During Greek Week we put our hearts into the dedication of our chapters and show what we stand for.

In the eyes of a sorority or fraternity member, we are brothers and sisters who come together to share our values and pride for Eastern’s campus.

Greek Week is a homecoming for the Greek community where everyone is invited to join in our pride and spirit.

Not only do we focus on fun activities, we commit ourselves to assist the community.

This means a lot to the Greek Community because we take pride in the philanthropic events we host through our chapters.

This year we are collecting items for HOPE, a local domestic violence agency, and a toy drive for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

These activities help the community and cultivate lifelong values.

It is important to point out that as we unite the Greek community under a fraternal friendship, this is a week where we focus on all aspects of Greek life.

This includes personal development, academic achievement, philanthropic events, chapter growth and the experience of common bonds the Greek community shares.

As a member of the Greek community for the past four years, I know everyone puts in long hours and hard work for activities that may take 10 to 15 minutes, but this shows we care about our chapters and do not do just the bare minimum in any activity we are challenged to.

Every year, I have participated in Greek sing and in St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital letter writing campaign.

I don’t care how much time it takes, I know the time I put into doing something as simple as addressing letters will eventually benefit children in need.

Sometimes, I feel we need to toot our horn as Greeks because many people like to point out our negatives, while we know our positives outweigh the bad.

Yes, we have our social settings that create atmospheres for us to meet new people and enjoy our time in college, yet we make sure we are on top of our academics and work schedules.

The hours, sweat and commitment are all challenges for us, but one way or another we overcome them together and that is what we do collectively to unify ourselves.

After the hype settles down from Greek Week, there is a banquet to acknowledge individuals for their academic achievements and overall chapter successes.

Just as departments here on campus have banquets to showcase their achievements, the Greek community does the same.

Greek Week has been a tradition for the Greek community and by coming together as a whole, it shows we are working toward a positive atmosphere on campus.

Brittni Garcia is a senior journalism major and a member of Alpha Sigma Tau. She can be reached at 581-7942 or

[email protected]

Column:Greek Week showcases positives

Column:Greek Week showcases positives

(Illustration by Darius Jutzi / The Daily Eastern News)